you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

My black `09 DRZ400E/SM
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: My black `09 DRZ400E/SM

My black `09 DRZ400E/SM 9 years ago #795

Finally got some mostly dry roads to try out the motard. The fun twisty roads were still oozing water from all the joints and were wet in the particularly shady areas. Some of the water crossing were also still partly under.

But despite the still crappy conditions the motard was fun! It obviously weighs heaps less than my usual commuter (my 650 Vstrom) and was fun to throw about in the twistier sections of road. It's definitely more nervous than the Vstrom and was a bit all over the place on the rougher surfaces. That's the Vstrom's strong point, really stable no matter what the road surface and it changes line mid corner without complaint.

The motard is very anti-social. It wants to wheelstand off from every set of traffic lights, and basically anytime you give it a squirt in 2nd gear. I noticed the front wheel letting out a little chirp as it comes down. I then watched the speedo (driven off the front wheel) and the motard front wheel definitely doesn't keep spinning as long as the dirt front wheel does. Probably something to do with the brand new tight front wheel bearings and seals that I just put in there.

The front brake feels suprisingly strong despite the stock size disc. The smaller diameter road front wheel means the brake is actually more sensitive than with the larger diameter dirt front wheel. I guess I will have to wait until I hit a good long downhill section like Mt Glorious to see how quickly it starts to get too hot and fade.

For more info on my Motard check out my website, I've put all the details on there. Stuff like putting the SM chain slider on, the Suzuki part numbers required and other info.
http://www.offroadvw.net/index.php?name=DRZ400E
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds