Username Password: Remember me

Can My Baby Drink Unleaded
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can My Baby Drink Unleaded

Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #716

• Daawl
  • Senior Boarder
Just a question for the more experienced out there.

When I purchased my DRZ 400e in Feb this year, I was told by the bike shop to only give it premium to drink, that plus the little sticker on the rear gaurd saying the same thing.

Going camping & riding with the family and friends on the weeknd & I just got a PW80 for the little one and the yamaha dealer said to not put premium into it while running it in and also used the technical term of "for a while".

I only have one jerry can

My question is simply

Can I put strait unleaded into the DRZ should i need to this weekend?
If I do will it stuff the bike?

Any help would be great,

Cheers
09 DRZ400E
7yo Daughter PW80
4yo Daughter JR50 (just learning)

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #717

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
Yes and you may find it runs and starts better to. My local dealer advised that I use 91 oct when I was having starting problems and its been good since.
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #729

my bike starts to ping under hard acceleration when running standard unleaded - no probs with premium.

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #731

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I run my DRZ on standard 91RON unleaded and have experienced no problems at all (pinging, knocking, hard starting or run on).

I have only ever run premium a few times in my vehicles (just to try it out really) but have never observed noticable gains in performance or ecomomy as claimed (none of the vehicles had any pinging issues etc).

The only thing I don't run is the 10% ethanol stuff as it is specifically stated in manuals not to run it in bikes. I am however, led to believe that stations can put up to 10% ethanol in the fuel without advertising it. If you do experience pinging, it may pay to try another servo.

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #749

• Daawl
  • Senior Boarder
Thaks for the responses.

I ended up running 91 for one tank on the weekend but do plan to go back to the premium.
09 DRZ400E
7yo Daughter PW80
4yo Daughter JR50 (just learning)

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #750

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
id stick with premium......i have heard that shell premium is no good and that some bikes and boats it actually states in the manual dont run shell....i wonder why that is ?.....anyway i run caltex vortex in my commodore and DRZ400 and both havent missed a beat

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #751

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
The big problem with using standard unleaded is it is not always 91RON as stated. It can test as low as 87RON. If you get 91RON it will most likely be ok but if ya get a bad batch then ya bike will run like shit. I get 95RON just to stay on the safe side.

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #755

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I am starting to think I agree with you Scotty with what you said in regards to the quality of the standard unleaded.

Last trail ride I had no issues with running the bike on standard unleaded, in fact it was running shit hot. A week or so later the bike was run very low on fuel and I put some fuel in it from another servo (once again, standard unleaded). Since then, I have found that the bike has some what lost that "edge" and is down on power. I find it has lost the bottom end and mid-range grunt that it had. I am going to drain the tank tomorrow and fill it with premium. I replaced the plug today but it has made little difference.

Will report back after the ride Saturday.

Goodie

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #768

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
The original question was can the DRZ run on standard unleaded, it clearly can and does if its all you can get or have a reliable source after that alll the stuff above is good
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #769

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
Well after the ride on Saturday running on Premium unleaded, I can honestly say I noticed no difference. Even though the bike isn't running at it's best (due to some other minor issues) there is no noticable performance increase that I could find.

In saying that, I will sort the issues I have out first, then run a trial again.

Re:Can My Baby Drink Unleaded 9 years ago #781

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I dont even run my fz1 on premium.. When i bought it the guy in the shop said there was no need to .. as fuel here in australia is much better than else where in the world .. Im not saying you cant get bad fuel .. but i have tried both premium and standard in both bikes and cant tell any difference .. If any one knows where i can get some bad fuel let me know i need to slow the thing down . lol ..
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds