What extras do you carry?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: What extras do you carry?

What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3763

• Gray
  • Fresh Boarder
G'day troopers.
Just got my self into trail biking (and a 2008 DRZ of course) and went out on my first ride yesterday up in the hills in east gippsland, north of Sale with a group of blokes from work.... Boy am I sore today lol..... It was a hair raising challenge for me at the age of 40, very steep and snotty tracks and very wet, the single trail part was tortious on me lol..... Apparently I got 'Best on Ground', yes I was off her a bunch of times lol....

Anyway, to the question.....

What extras do you carry? Some blokes I ride with have it all, some not much and others bits and pieces..... I'd like to get some spares together with out going over board and was wonder what are your 'MUST HAVES' and nice to haves? And what/where do you carry it?

Cheers.

Dave

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3765

• my400e
  • Senior Boarder
I run with the standard tool kit on the back guard plus, a small back pack for my wallet, phone, water and the rest below...
a spare clutch and front brake lever. (I run hand guards not Barkbusters )
a spare spark plug
a pkt zip ties
a roll of duct tape
a multi tool (like a knife thingy with all different attachments)
a small box with different size nuts/bolts/washers (metric)
and lastly, but by no means leastly, a compact FIRST AID KIT.

We usually split it up. For example, I will carry the above and my mate will carry a big shifter and tyre levers. Another one will carry a pump and a spare tube or 2. We all ride together, so if anyone needs something we should be covered.

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3768

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Pretty much the same as above but i also carry a gear lever and some larger cable ties to put around the tyre and rim in case of a puncture ,they can be enough to get you back to the car without the tyre coming off .

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3769

• Gray
  • Fresh Boarder
My mates carry a front tyre (can be put on the rear to get you home I'm told) and a can of air, also a Litre of fuel in their tool vests. I reckon his vest weighed an easily 8 kgs too...
One tip I have is I put my phone in a zip lock bag in my back pack, only wish I put my wallet in with it when I went over in a deep rut full of water lol.... Next purchase tho is a camel bac..... Boy did I need a drink haha.....

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3770

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
great idear wayne, believe it or not i have never herd that before

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3771

• Gray
  • Fresh Boarder
Gray wrote:
My mates carry a front tyre (can be put on the rear to get you home I'm told) and a can of air, also a Litre of fuel in their tool vests. I reckon his vest weighed an easily 8 kgs too...
One tip I have is I put my phone in a zip lock bag in my back pack, only wish I put my wallet in with it when I went over in a deep rut full of water lol.... Next purchase tho is a camel bac..... Boy did I need a drink haha.....

Tube, not an tyre! Doh!

Re: What extras do you carry? 6 years, 4 months ago #3772

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
A mate put me on to the cable tie idea, he seen it in a magazine . About a year ago i thought i would pull the tyre of for practice as i havent done that in years , well that was a complete nightmare i thought i was doing some thing wrong , turns out the side wall on most dirt tyres are a lot harder these days . If your going on a long trip take a tube and some GOOD levers for sure . If that fails pour some petrol on the tyre, light it ,and keep warm till help arrives . So for me at least , it was a waiste of time carrying a tube and levers when your not that far from the car ..
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds