Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question

Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3017

• dannyboy
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all,

I've just picked up a 2001 DRZ400E and so far think its awesome!

However I do have a question on the front tyre (or tire?)... Mine has no valve on it so you can't add air... When I was at a local dealer at first they were confused, but then said some off road bikes have like a rubber/foam insert rather than air based with a valve, so you don't get punctures?? The front tyre looks half flat all the time.

Is this right?

I'm bit worried... thinking maybe its had a flat tyre at some point and someone has put that temporary foam in to get you home.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dan

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3018

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
it may have what they call a moose in it , if it is just a temporary foam it will go soft fairly quickly. but if it is a moose it should still have the lock pin coming through.

hope that helps

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3019

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
Its not the rim lock??? your looking at????

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3020

• dannyboy
  • Fresh Boarder
Cheers guys!

It's defo got the rim lock in place, however where the air valve should be is just a hole.

Sounds like maybe this moose stuff then? So just to confirm, even on a "E" version, there's no reason not to have the air valve and fully inflated?

If so, I'll take it to the local tyre place and get them to change it.

Cheers
DannyBoy

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3022

Top enduro riders that have lots of money put in Mouse tubes, it would be a little strange to put one on a DRZ.

If it is a mouse tube it will definately have to come out, they only last a few hundred ks and then the foam is buggered and it will just be pretty much a flat tyre.

If you are at all mechanically minded it might be worth buying a set of tyre levers and having a go at changing it yourself, it sucks but on a trail it may save a long walk or buggered rim if you can get yourself out of trouble or a sat night with a flat at home and a ride on sunday. But it really does suck! There are plenty of forums to help you out.

But if you need a new tyre, make sure it is a heavy duty type, might save a few issues at times.

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3026

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
Its a bit off the subject but when is a tire flat? depends on the tire would be my response. Last year son rode home from the Jardine River Cape York to Cairns on what he thought was roughly the right pressure in the front tire (Dunlop D606 with an extra heavy duty tube). He let it down for the return trip cause he thought it had to much pressure in it for the sandy sections. Didnt bother with the gauge, just the old method - give it a push with the hand, yea thats about right. 4psi when we checked 1000km down the track. The D606 is a very stiff side walled tire and it didnt show much deflection. I have seen other tires pinch etc at 18psi so my guess is different pressures for different tyres....

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 2 months ago #3029

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Could it be possible the tube has spun around inside the tyre ? and the valve is hiding in there some where ?

Re: Complete noob - front tyre (tire?) question 7 years, 1 month ago #3039

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Can you post a pic so we can see? will give a better idea.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds