Username Password: Remember me

Pull your swing arm out
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pull your swing arm out

Pull your swing arm out 8 years, 1 month ago #2753

• KHB
  • Senior Boarder
So I broke my foot three weeks ago. Since I won't be on my bike for a while I thought I would service the swing arm. I have owned my 09 since new and didn't think it would be hard. WRONG..........The pivot shaft bolt was seized in place. After 3 days of soaking with rp7 and a few hits with the big hammer she finally came out. So PLEASE of you haven't done it in the last 12 months pull yours apart. Learn from my mistake!

Cheers
KHB

Re: Pull your swing arm out 8 years, 1 month ago #2754

I have been meaning to do this for awhile now.
Would you say its a hard job? Did you follow a service manual or just happen to know what do to?

Re: Pull your swing arm out 8 years, 1 month ago #2755

• KHB
  • Senior Boarder
Nah. Not a hard job to do other than the stuck shaft. I followed a manual but there is also a guide on thumper talk. Only bit I did different was leave the shock in and only undid the bottom mount on the shock.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 8 years, 1 month ago #2756

yeah OK so the shock can stay in, i wasen't sure about that.
Well sounds sort of easy enough.
Mines a 2005 that i have owned for a year, not sure if its ever been looked at.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 8 years ago #2802

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Good advice KHB. I do an annual beach ride and after that I pull out my swinging arm pivot bolt and lube it up anti seize grease . I've seen an XR400 with a pivot bolt so seized it still wouldn't shift in a 3 ton press.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 6 months ago #3353

• Grumpy
  • Senior Boarder
dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F4056-drz400-rear-suspension-maintenance%2F

seen this guys ideads on the tools he makes to help remove the stubborn bolts

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 5 months ago #3407

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Kipo is right. Annual maintenance of your rear ( & front) suspension is ideal.

Even though there are grease nipples (5)you cannot be sure that the bearing are well lubed and in good condition.

After diassembly, annual oil change ( front) and regas of the shock avoids on trail breakdowns. Ask me how I know! I rode a KTM300 through the Alps with it handling like a pogo stick.

The suspension technician can check for wear and fiddle with valving while he is in there if you want alterations.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3537

I want to pull out the swingarm pivot bolt on my 2010 drz400e & give it a good lube. (Not been done yet as far as I know, but only 3,000k's on the clock and minimal water so I hope its an easy job).

On thumpertalk they get you to strip the rear suspension before removing the bolt.

But I read on another site that you can simply undo the nut, drift the bolt out, leave the drift in there to keep it all in place, clean/lube the bolt then reinstall.

Sounds easy, but can you really do this without ANY other dismantling?
If so, does the bike need to be on a stand? Rear wheel off?

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3538

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah mate that's all I do. No need to strip rear linkage or remove rear wheel. Put the bike on a stand, undo the nut and punch the bolt through. You may just have to jam something under your rear brake lever to hold it down so the bolt clears that on it's way out. I made up a bar to punch the bolt through and I leave that in there after I remove the bolt to it lube up, That keeps the swing arm in place until I put the swing arm bolt back. You'll probably have to 'jiggle' the swing arm a bit to line up and get the bolt back through. Remember to make sure you've got the bolt lined up so the 2 flat sides of the head of the bolt recess into the frame before you knock it back in. Nothing worse than getting it nearly all the way back in and having to knock it out again because the flat sides don't line up. I've had no dramas doing it this way and I've pulled mine out about 4 times. I suppose you could remove the rear wheel to take some weight off so it's easier to jiggle but I've never bothered. BTW, I use a smear of anti seize grease. EDIT: If you do remove the rear wheel put something between your rear brake pads before you hold down the rear brake lever, otherwise you might pop the the pistons out of the rear calliper.

Cheers, Kipo

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3539

Thanks Kipo - I'll give it a go next week.

I've got to locate a bar first - I'm presuming that if I get a bar that is almost the same diameter as the pivot bolt, it'll be easier to get the pivot bolt back on, as everything will be 'almost' in line.

If only i had a second pivot bolt!

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3540

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
True. A bar slightly smaller would be perfect. Yours should be ok, 3,000 kms and minimal water should be easy.

Good luck.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3548

Got it done! If anyone is interested, here is what I did:

Bike on sidestand, removed nut & washer from pivot bolt, got the pivot bolt loose, hitting it backwards & forwards 2-3cm a few times with plenty of wd40 to free it up nicely, then put the DRZ up on a stand.
Luckily, I discovered the rear axle on my road bike is the same diameter as the pivot bolt, so used it to drive the pivot bolt out. This kept everything in place, so tapping the pivot bolt back in was super easy.

So no dismantling necessary, minimal tool required, 1 hour all up including whipping the rear off my road bike.

I'll get a suitable bar (17mm?) for next time to make it even quicker.

I started out with a claw hammer, but you need something with a bit of weight about it, so I used a club hammer in the end.

You could probably do it without a stand even.

Kipo - I don't understand the bit about lining up the flats on the bolt when you are putting it back in - surely you can just twist the bolt to line it up using a wrench on the flats?

Thanks for the tips everyone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airhead

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 3 months ago #3549

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
bLINDfREDDY wrote:

Kipo - I don't understand the bit about lining up the flats on the bolt when you are putting it back in - surely you can just twist the bolt to line it up using a wrench on the flats?

Yes that's true, I just make sure I've got roughly lined up before I punch it back through.

Re: Pull your swing arm out 7 years, 1 month ago #3702

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I was having a look at mine the other day and only seemed to feel slight movement in the swing arm while all linkages were still on , after pulling the shock out and removing the rear wheel and linkages i found there was a lot more movement in the swing arm than before . As well as having some slack in the lower linkage that bolts to the frame . I wouldnt have found this with the shock and linkages still on ? the whole set up (linkages,shock, swing arm) hold each other together fairly tight . So clearly i need to replace the worn bearings and bushes , so my question is ? has anyone here done this and what do i need to remove and replace these . Do i need a press , can they be knocked out with a punch , or do i just send the bike of to have it done at a shop ???
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds