Username Password: Remember me

what to look for
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: what to look for

what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #131

• p-dog
  • Fresh Boarder
hi guys new to site,looking to buy a drz400e for myself and son,are there any probs i should look out for.
ps got to old for the 2 strokes and i dont bounce any more :unsure:

Re: what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #132

Hey p-dog
I grew up on 2 bangers once you buy a DRZ you will never look back
Its the best all rounder I ride mine to work all summer and go bush with my mates they all ride KTM's and Husabergs and I keep up fine
The only thing I would think about is they are very tall bike and weigh allot but Ive stripped heaps off my bike swapping parts ect

Good luck finding a bike if you want to buy new checkout Sunstate motorcycles in QLD
I live in Canberra and no local could come close to the price they did and they send it to my door

Cheers

Re: what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #133

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
i agree with aussiedrz, ive had 2bangers all my life as well and the DRZ400E is my first 4 stroke, i love the thing, yes they are a bit heavy , but ther not designed for doing back flips on either.. as far as im concerned they are the most reliable affordable bike on the planet and they have plenty of grunt for the average rider. and yes give sunstate motorcycles a call on 07-54794344 and as to speak to Darren, you wont get a beter price on a new DRZ 400E anywere.

Re:what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #134

• p-dog
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks guys would love a new one but cant get passed my wife, looking for one 06 and up, just wonted to know if there was anythiing that goes wrong with them
brett

Re:what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #137

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
suspension gets soft ......so if your a heavier guy maybe save some cash for an upgrade....

Re:what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #140

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
for the price of an 06 modle , if you look hard you might be suprised on the price of a new one

Re:what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #144

I agree an 06 can still go for around $6000
look for an ex demo with a few k's
There always on Bikepoint

Re:what to look for 9 years, 4 months ago #146

• G man
  • Junior Boarder
Hi all. I picked up a 05 for 3k! 8000km on the clock, if you look hard you WILL find a good bike for cheep you just have to keep your ear to the ground and look hard, this bike was from Sunstate motorcycles in QLD new and it had one owner that i got it off.

Re:what to look for 9 years ago #655

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I bought my 03 DRZ in May (build 12/02), after busting my leg and needing electric start. My previous bike was a 2001 KDX 200 which was also a great little bike.

I bought the DRZ as I wanted the most maintenance free 4-stroke possible. I am also a trail rider. I don't race, don't jump anything over about 1m tall and weigh about 95kg with all my gear on.

The DRZ isn't as light as the KDX when you are stuck in an awkward position up a greasy hill, but it has the advantage of the elec start, and also I find I can stop 1/2 way up a hill and have a much better chance of taking off again rather than rolling to the bottom of the hill and having another crack.

I fatigue less on the DRZ as I can just about idle everywhere and the steering is much more predictable than the KDX was. I also find the suspension better on the DRZ than the KDX. The height can be a little awkward at 1st but I fitted a SM seat which got me 1" closer to the deck (go figure) which is enough.

If buying a DRZ, look at colour of the oil - it should be a nice honey colour not black. The DRZ's hold more oil than all the 450's and as a result don't need as many oil changes. Other than that all the other things like wheel bearings, service intervals etc should be looked in to just like every other bike.

What will my next bike be - maybe a Husaberg 390 but they will have to prove theirselves as a reliable mount first, and that is only if I can afford to have a road bike also, otherwise it will be a KLX450.

I recon if Suzuki would rummage out the back and put the DRZ400 motor in the RMZ450 frame they would sell like hotcakes, even if they were a few grand dearer. Hell, they don't even need to do that, just some smart engineering to shave off 7-10kg thats all (and while they are at it do something about the tank / rad guards to make it look more modern - thank god for graphics).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds