Licence test on my DRZ
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Licence test on my DRZ

Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1570

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
im sorry to say that the trusty drz has finally let me down.......i rocked up at the riding school to do my p's test after spending cash on getting it back to ADR standings and as soon as the first test started i lost all electricals on the bike and with no kickstart that was the end of the yellow beast for the day........i then had to disrupt the class and pay $150 buck to use there bike.....anyway i passed my test and towed the DRZ home ........if anyone has any ideas on what might be the problem feel free to leave feedback as next week im stripping all the exess crap of it and redoing the wiring

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1571

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
check the fuse mate
a freind of mine blows one in his evey few months and
cant figure out why,,

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1572

• mudrox
  • Fresh Boarder
Had a problem with my 2003E where the indicators, horn and light wouldn't work, checked fuses even pulled the switches on the handlebars apart and checked them with no joy. Ended up taking the head light cowl off and unplugging all the connections and cleaning them up with WD40 and a screw driver to get the green gunk off the terminals and hey presto all working again. :woohoo:

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1573

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
drztroy wrote:
check the fuse mate
a freind of mine blows one in his evey few months and
cant figure out why,,

I second the fuse - I blew one on mine a month or so ago. I was riding along, things were all good til I stopped, then no joy on the restart (no headlight either). Couple of minutes later I had the fuse replaced and was on my way (located on top of the battery - spare fuse with it).

I figured that mine blew as I snapped the rear blinkers off that day (were getting old) and the wires were touching. Must of hit the blinker switch by accident at one stage.

The other suggestion of coroded plugs and wiring also makes allot of sense though.

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1576

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
thanks for the feedback guys...............do you reckon that leaving the bike plugged into a trickle charger for 24 hours could have affected it (fuse)

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1578

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
daz80j wrote:
thanks for the feedback guys...............do you reckon that leaving the bike plugged into a trickle charger for 24 hours could have affected it (fuse)

Would find it hard to believe that a tricle charger would cause the issue, but in saying that all electrical appliances get a large power spike when initially turned on.

I always disconnect the battery when charging but I have an old school charger.

A way of preventing issues in future is to install an in-line fuse on your trickle charger power line (5A should cover it). That way it will blow first.

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1579

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
I have mine a trickle charger directly across the battery all the time no issue.
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1582

• mudrox
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a few bikes on trickle chargers, some have been on for years, no issues so far.(fingers Crossed)

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1585

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
thanks heaps guys, i have the next 3 days off and have told the missus that i need to spend some quality time with my mistress (SUZI).....so fingers crossed she should be on the road soon enough

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1591

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
not winning..... :angry: ......the fuse was ok all the wires looked good, put in a new battery kicked over first go not a problem......put the bike back together try to start it battery gone... :S ..10.1 volt and falling...no electrics again.....so what i have done is plugged battery into charger (not trickle) and have replaced a part i dont know what its called....it has a wire coming direct from battery then to starter motor and wiring harness.....turned bike on kicked over first go.... :woohoo: ....so im leaving it on charge tonight then going to test it......then when it starts i will turn it off (charger)....then let it sit for acouple hours and hope it holds the charge .....im hoping the part i replaced was draining the battery cause if it wasnt im up shit creek i think... :blink: :huh:

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1593

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
foumd the part starter relay :blush: .....could it possibly be the regulater

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 6 months ago #1629

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
bike is fixed ......starter relay it was....thnx heaps for help

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 5 months ago #1657

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
i took the bike for a spin today........about an hour into the ride i lost all electrics again......and about 1k from home the bike started to splutter and cut out on me.....after getting my tow rope out and getting a wr250 to tow me the rest of the way home.....highway patrol pulled us over.....and being double demerits and being a truck driver im shitting myself....the cop didnt know how to book us and all that she could say that was what we were doing wasnt safe....so she has taken our details and going to look into it.....so i dont know if that means i am to expect a fine in the mail or that she has put it in the too hard basket and she was giving us a pass.....so thats my good friday guys hows yours....anyway this problem is getting to me do i change the computer or what about this coment from dirtbike world.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DrDad

22-05-2007, 06:57 PM

4-pin connector between rectifier and battery (near LHS frame behind air filter cover) corrodes leaving almost zero charge getting to battery. Check and if OK, seal it with silicone immediately. Otherwise replace it.

or this comment..........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AussieE

21-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Sometimes the original digital speedo's would have a constant voltage drain and that would drain the battery flat in a week you have to disconect one of the wires to the speedo or replace it with a lighter one.
"E"

or should i just put it into an auto electrician and if so anyone know of a good one in sydneys west

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 5 months ago #1658

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
Sorry to hear you had a bad day mate, being a truckie myself i know what its like to stress about losing pionts. hopefully she will just throw it out.

As for the bike i would bite the bullet and take it to a auto leccy so they could diagnose it and fix it. You dont know how long it might take you to find the problem by yourself and in that time continue to break down anywhere and have the same trouble you had yesterday with the cops.

Just a thought but have you done the sidestand mod and removed the switch? Could the cables have seperated somehow if youve done that?
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Licence test on my DRZ 8 years, 5 months ago #1659

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
Rocker wrote:
Sorry to hear you had a bad day mate, being a truckie myself i know what its like to stress about losing pionts. hopefully she will just throw it out.

As for the bike i would bite the bullet and take it to a auto leccy so they could diagnose it and fix it. You dont know how long it might take you to find the problem by yourself and in that time continue to break down anywhere and have the same trouble you had yesterday with the cops.

Just a thought but have you done the sidestand mod and removed the switch? Could the cables have seperated somehow if youve done that?

I agree with rocker regarding taking it to a auto elec. They will be able to mega check (apply far more voltage than usual) to the lines and individually check components.

If you don't have the cash for that, try isolating the headlights by disconnecting the loom, and have a good look at all connectors, spray them with CO2 cleaner and maybe silicone around the plug once clean. Don't rule out a dodgy stator either (can be resistance checked).
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds