You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Kick starter kit?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Kick starter kit?

Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5515

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
DRZ400e, the e supposedly stands for electric start and therefore many/most don't have a kickstarter. I know many of the guys on properties have them fitted on purchase as there workplaces are too remote to be stranded just because they forgot to turn their key off overnight (and no, they can't tell by the light being on because the lights are the first things to break!).

I figured I've never needed to kick start my car before so was happy to not fit a kick starter to my bike. Today I went for a spin in a more isolated location than usual and really felt the need for a kick starter. I dropped the bike at one stage and was so worried about the battery not having another start left in it that I didn't kill the motor while it was lying on its side. Got me looking at kick starter kits.

Has anyone fitted one?

Did you buy a new genuine Suzuki product?

Did you buy some other brand?

Did you buy used and, if so, how did that go for you, did you get all the parts you needed or did you overlook something?

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5516

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
Don't worry, I did search and nothing came up to do with Kickstarter kits. That seemed really odd seeing as it's a common topic on other dirt bike forums so thought I'd do you all a favour and stick this up here so the collective brains of DRZ400e can can build on it. ;)

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5558

• tryr
  • Fresh Boarder
I installed the factory kick starter kit on my 2008 DRZ400E about 2 years ago.

I bought the kit on Ebay when the exchange rate for the US was better and it was worth the money.

There are threads out there with pictures showing what to do ( including youtube )and I kept the pictures etc for reference during the preparation (stripping ) and install.

The installation of the kick starter and the few parts is easy. The tricky part is being careful stripping the bike down removing the clutch and putting it back correctly.

The new gasket was a pain because it was curved from packaging and this gasket needs to be as flat as a piece of glass.

Leave the decompression kit install till you've installed the kick starter. Its fairly simple to install but use an impact driver to remove the Phillips head bolt. Its soft as.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CJ

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5559

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
I read somewhere that some guys don't bother with the decompression lever on the handlebars and just put a bolt on the lever so they can reach down and move the lever itself by hand. Sounds nice and simple but can think of situations where I'd want to be able to just kick and go without having to reach down and fumble around trying to find the lever.

Any experience with this?

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5560

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
I have had a genuine kit I got from the US a long time ago and need to fit it soon. I will fit the decomp on the bar where it is meant to be. I worked on and rode big bore bikes before electric start, if its flooded or your tired and it wont go forst kick you want it as easy as possible.

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 years, 8 months ago #5561

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
Bala wrote:
I have had a genuine kit I got from the US a long time ago and need to fit it soon. I will fit the decomp on the bar where it is meant to be. I worked on and rode big bore bikes before electric start, if its flooded or your tired and it wont go forst kick you want it as easy as possible.

Yes, I agree, and you don't want to be so buggered you do one of those half arsed kicks and it kicks back and bites you.

Re: Kick starter kit? 3 months, 2 weeks ago #17408

• gavin8rr
  • Fresh Boarder
For the next person that reads this....

The cheapest kit is direct from Suzuki Australia and includes decomp, gaskets etc.

26300-29815 = $299 AUD

DR-Z400E KICKSTART SET ITEM NO: 26300-29815 Contains all parts needed to add a kickstarter to the electric start only DR-Z400E. Will NOT fit DR-Z400S or DR-Z400SM models.

Re: Kick starter kit? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #17458

• Boof
  • Fresh Boarder
Yep, that's the one I got too. I didn't bother with the decomp lever as I have fatter bars and didn't want to muck around and find the clamp wouldn't fit. My bike starts real easy so I just fitted a bolt to the lever on the head in a way that the head protrudes for me to grab an pull up by hand. It's easy enough to do with a bolt and isn't a pain unless it takes lots of kicks, which can sometimes happen if the bike hasn't been ridden for 6 months and battery is cactus.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds