You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Idle Problems, Running On.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Idle Problems, Running On.

Idle Problems, Running On. 5 years, 3 months ago #4468

I bought my DRZ400E from a Dandenong dealer new. From new it was a real pain to ride at slow speed, especially down steep hills. It would stall without warning resulting in many low speed stacks. Also when going down a steep decline the revs would increase - no engine braking and I had to clutch it and rely entirely on brakes which is not good for acurate control. I spoke to the dealer where I bought the bike but they basically fobbed me off.

After checking many online posts about this problem I was convinced that the idle 'air' screw needed to be turned in a bit to richen the idle mixture. The screw is very hard to get to so I made a simple right angle screw driver and turned the screw in about half a turn (or so I thought). This made the problem worse.

I then visited Morwell Motorcycles where mechanic 'Steve' informed me that this screw is in fact an idle 'fuel' control, not 'air', and should be 2.5 turns out. After much disassembly and mucking about I was able to get to this screw with a proper screw driver and what did I find? This fuel screw was fully and firmly 'in'. I opened it 2.5 turns and now problem solved. I was then able to slow the idle heaps. It now idles smoothly at very low revs.

This has transformed the bike in tight single trails.

Morwell Motorcycles, Glen Middlemiss and co deserve a big plug. The big Dandenong mob (no longer there I believe, just operating out of the city), pft!

Re: Idle Problems, Running On. 5 years, 3 months ago #4503

• Deano3
  • Fresh Boarder
That's great it was such a simple fix. Where about its the screw you adjusted? Is it the pilot screw? I'm also having idle issues

Re: Idle Problems, Running On. 5 years, 3 months ago #4528

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
i tried looking for the screw in question and am unable to find it, ??
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds