you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out.

Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4206

I'm on to my third countershaft sprocket seal in about 12 months. Fortunately the latest let go only a few km from base and I was able to limp home. There it duly leaked the remainder of the oil out of the motor.

Anybody have an idea why this keeps happening?

I'm told there is some sort of twin lip, with spacer, aftermarket replacement.

Anybody know of these? A link would be great.

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4210

• cowlo
  • Fresh Boarder
chain may be to tight

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4212

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
remove your countershaft cover and clean the area after riding in mud. leave it off.

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4213

• Stricko
  • Expert Boarder
Only ever had one seal go and that was after teh 6000km service and the chain was way too tight and I grabbed it from the service guys and took off for a weekend ride without checking. Never had one go again with another 20,000 kms added to it.
Just another happy DRZ'er :) with just about all the mods done I need ( or that the wife will allow)

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4214

• cowlo
  • Fresh Boarder
hey stricko, after 20 000 have you done anything with your valves and timing chain? Ive ridden mine for 8000 and apart from the usual consumables i havnt put a spanner on it, she starts first time every time and reliable as ever. the only thing ive done is put the kick start kit on there as all my riding is remote single track-and have flogged the shit out of it

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4215

• Stricko
  • Expert Boarder
After about 10,000 had valve clearances done and usual services. Timing chain hasnt had any issues - but I have also had serviced more than required. Had a major engine fail at 15,500 ( due to an oil pump failure) replaced engine with a 08 model with only 4,000km on it, had valves and service done and now running better than it did off the show room floor - and Yes I flogg the Bejezuz out of it ;) and it takes it all in stride.. youll know when the vavles are ready for checking whe the bike just doesnt fire up as quickly and progressively gets harder to start or kick over.
Just another happy DRZ'er :) with just about all the mods done I need ( or that the wife will allow)

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4217

• cowlo
  • Fresh Boarder
good one mate, the oil pump thing was that a random or something to keep an eye on?

Re: Countershaft seal. Keeps chewing them out. 5 years, 5 months ago #4218

• Stricko
  • Expert Boarder
Totally random :(
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds