you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Starting problems
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Starting problems

Starting problems 5 years, 5 months ago #4175

Hey all,
Been having a lot of problems starting my DRZ400. Engine turns over but it is not igniting. I’ve had a look at some threads and have done these tests so far:-

• Checked all electrical connections. Recently replaced the spark plug, stator and ignition coil – spark is good.
  • Put some oil in the cylinder, took off air filter and sprayed carby cleaner in while I tried starting it – I’ve heard this helps but unfortunately no effect
  • I have checked the spark plug for fuel after starting and it's definitely getting into the cylinder.
  • I have been able to jump start it before – it idles all over the place. Once the engine is warm, the engine starts no problem and the bike works! Unfortunately bump-starting is not working anymore.

The only I can think of is it's something to do with the valves/compression or the carburettor (although obviously fuel is getting to the cylinder :S ). A used carburettor costs around $200. I’d rather check valve clearances first, but the fact that it works when heated up makes me think it's not compression (although I literally have next to no idea with this stuff). Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or has gone through the same thing. I will keep on trying but I might take to a mechanic to at least diagnose the problem so I can order and install the parts.

Cheers

Re: Starting problems 5 years, 5 months ago #4176

• billa
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Jordan
it will be the valve clearance I have seen this on pleanty of DRZs and once this is fixed it will be off and starting again, it is a pain to adjust them and if you havent done it before get some help as you have to remove the camshafts and timing chain, then you need the new shims

I hope this helps
Bill

Re: Starting problems 5 years, 5 months ago #4177

• Stricko
  • Expert Boarder
Jordan - as Bill said it is more than likely ( definately) your vavles. I recently had the exact issue, started out all ok in the morning then progressively got worse throughout the day to the point I had to be tow strap started to get going. Sent it into the bike shop and had vavles sorted and a minor service - now starts on the first touch of the button.
Cheers
Blake
Just another happy DRZ'er :) with just about all the mods done I need ( or that the wife will allow)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds