you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar

Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3660

• Airhead
  • Junior Boarder
I want to put a thermo fan on, I get worried about it running too hot, as there is no temp guage I dont even know if im running it in safe operating range, I plan to ride long distances in soft sand with big tank, and paniers full of camping gear. Ive done some googling but only see people talk of using computer fans that may not be water proof obviously not intended for job, what do people here do, is there a common kit avaliable, would it run all the time or would it have temp probe amd run accordingly, thanks in advamced.

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3663

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Go back through the forums and there is a thread on this. One of the guys had the same thoughts. he detailed it quite well from memory and pics too. think he even put links up about where to get it.

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3667

• Airhead
  • Junior Boarder
Cheers mate

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3679

I used computer fans, ones that pull as much air as possible, with in line fuse.. made all the difference and I can vouch for this as I have a temp gauge..

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3680

• Airhead
  • Junior Boarder
Cheers mate, I guess I was hoping someone would say that everyone uses drz 400 SM fans, or buys a fan kit from a certain bike shop was hoping it would be that easy. I want it so it switches on off it self, dont want to run too cool

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3681

Yea the sm or ktm kits aren't cheap that's why I went cpu fans, water doesn't seem to bother them either. I have to switch mine on manually but I only use them if its over 30c and I'm either going very slow or stopped at lights etc. Maybe get urself a trailtech temp gauge, about 60 or 70 bucks but at least it will give you piece of mind

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3682

And by 30c I mean the outside temp, obviously not bike running temp haha

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3688

• Airhead
  • Junior Boarder
Cheers mate, so your saying just get temp guage not fan, just keep an eye on temp. So does the sm or ktm fans fit just too expensive, with the sm kits does the temp probe screw to top of left radiator. How much are those kits

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3689

I only got them for riding in summer, hardly use them. Just get temp gauge and see what its doing I'm sure it will be fine. Sm kits are no less than 300 from memory

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3693

• Airhead
  • Junior Boarder
Geez over $300 starting to get pricy can see why u use cheaper computuer fans, I guess if u have guage can just ride accordingly.

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3697

Yep that's it mate, it takes ages to heat up too much when sitting still, but as soon as your moving, even very slow the temp drops anyway

Re: Thermo FAN DRZ400e 2009 or simillar 6 years, 4 months ago #3754

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Hi,

I was the member that did a post on this:

www.drz400e.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=4&id=2853&Itemid=124

I also fitted a temp gauge.

The fan is still working well, and makes all the difference. If you read the thread, you'll see I probably asked all the same questions that you did, to come up with the solution that I did (size, cost, fit etc)

I used a thermo-switch to make it turn on and off as needed.

Not sure if i mentined in my install, but you can get plastic fan mounts - a bit like cable ties:

www.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimoto-slim-line-electric-radiator-fan-mount-tie-kit.html

They do various sizes (this is just the first example I found, and may not for the DRZ)

I made a rather complicated bracket, this may be a lot easier.

Hope it helps

Clarky
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds