you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cost of suspension reasonable
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cost of suspension reasonable

Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3084

• Vellies
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All

First post here, really enjoying this site. Got my first DRZ400E a couple of weeks ago and loving it. It is my first dirt bike, so I am learning to ride off-road and loving it.

I have done lots of research about suspension, and at 93kg have worked out to respring and revalve the suspensions looks like it is worth it. I have upgraded fork springs and Gold Valves on a Vstrom previously, and replaced a rear shock, but looks like the valving on the DRZ is quite important, and requires some expert hands. So I decided to get a quote from my dealer in Perth. Have to say I was surprised at the cost. To replace the springs, and rework (not replace) the valves, he quoted me $1,100. This is more than I expected based on what my research showed, which indicated $800 in AUS is more a ballpark figure.

I would appreciate your feedback on reasonable pricing for this work.

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3086

• damosgem
  • Senior Boarder
Hi mate im also 95 kg.Im not having a problem with my dr as of yet ive set up my rider sag and static sag and the rear spring still was in specs .Depending on what type of riding you do you might get away with just leaving it standard and just doing your rider sag and static sag.The dr is not like the ktm were they are designed for a 75klg person.Also having your suspention to hard is not always a good thing as you might be strugling on rougher terrain .also note that the dr has two compresion adjustments and one rebound adjustment for the frear shock .Good luck.

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3087

• Vellies
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting. I have set the sag, and I am down to 25mm static, but that still puts me at 115mm race (rider) sag, suggesting I need a stiffer spring. Thanks anyway.

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3091

• BigAnt
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm also interested in this, want to get mine re-done to suit my weight. Local shop pointed me in the direction of "Race Bike Services" in Lonsdale SA.
I'll let you know what my quote ends up being when I give them a ring.

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3093

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Cost me $300 here in geelong from chad's of road setups , but im 82-85 kilo . Didnt replace springs just good oil and revavle , this guy is good at what he does , it was a completely different bike when i got it back . By far the best $300 dollars i have spent on the bike .

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years, 1 month ago #3094

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
I am 100kg - got a new hard rear spring fitted and set up just under $400 in canberra...
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years ago #3107

• Screwed
  • Fresh Boarder
I also range in the 93kgs area and have replaced both the rear and front spring with ebachi springs rated for my weight and set the sag appropriately. I also increased the rear ride height by 1.5cm which had the best effect on handling.

Also a big improvement for the front suspension was the addition of 4.5mm spacers between the cap and spring which brought the front static sag to approximately 24mm, I used 10 weight oil and set the clickers to standard re-adjusting them while out on a ride. The forks are also set an extra 5mm through the triple clamps.

I also use a 110 wide rear tyre rather than the standard 120 which reduces pushing through corners.

Hope this helps.

Re: Cost of suspension reasonable 7 years ago #3127

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
I have just had my suspension (and my mates) done (in adelaide by HOEY's).

BEST thing I have done to my bike.
Hade the front and rear springs upgraded, re valved etc
and set up for weight. Was like a different bike, heaps smoother to ride
and the tracks that we ride, were riding them faster and easier than we
have before.

If there is one thing that I would recommend to do this would be it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds