you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Handlebar mounting bar
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Handlebar mounting bar

Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 2 months ago #3004

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I am struggling to find space to mount stuff on the bike. I have a GPS mount that I want to fit, along with a temp gauge (have made a crappy temp mount on the clutch lever clamp for the moment) and install a clock to replace the unreliable clock on the display (mine resets itself to 0:00 when switched off). You'll also notice from the first photo that I have a tacho mounted next to the main display.

I am currently in the process of making a replacement handlebar brace (is that the correct term?) out of 19mm box section steel - the original is 12.5mm round aluminium, which makes it extremely hard to weld/bolt to, not just because of the size and shape, but because aluminium is a lot softer than steel too - would start to crush if I tried to bolt to it. I'm not sure if the handlebars that came fitted to the bike are standard - I'm sure someone will be able to tell me.

Have made a start, (very) roughly cut two lugs from 5mm steel, with a 6mm hole in them to mount on the brace bar brackets.

You can see I have now clamped the box section across them - to mark the height I need to trim them down to. Have stopped for now til I can use the works band saw (too lazy to cut 5mm steel with a hacksaw)

Once all trimmed, the next step is to weld the box section to the lugs, clean it all up and spray it all black.

Will keep you posted on progress

Clarky.
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 2 months ago #3010

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Have welded the box section to the lugs and bolted it in place.

I plan to make a mounting plate for the GPS now, and also remount the temp gauge next to it - will probably just drill and tap the holes.

After that, I am going to fit a warning lamp to let me know when the radiator cooling fan I am installing has switched on (see my other thread) and also a clock.

I will get all these items roughed out along the bar, before I finally paint it black.

All for now

Clarky
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 2 months ago #3012

• Darkman
  • Fresh Boarder
Looking good Clarky.

Will that interfere with the main dashboard?

Re: Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 2 months ago #3014

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Darkman. The GPS is gonna be off to one side, away from the main display and ignition key. The other stuff will be small. It shouldn't interfere at all.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 1 month ago #3037

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Why don't you just buy a aftermarket speedo? they are on ebay for about 130 and they have the tacho and temp gauge in them. As for the clock.............. who cares about the time, your riding-----> everything else comes 2nd. hahahaha

Re: Handlebar mounting bar 7 years, 1 month ago #3040

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I didn't want to change from the original speedo, especially the tacho. I was also looking for somewhere to mount my Gps unit.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.16 seconds