You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Air Filters
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Air Filters

Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2932

Hey there just wondering what peoples opinions are based on air filters. I was looking at the Funnel web filter, and also the Uni Pro Comp 2 air filter. Anyway get back to me with your responses!

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2933

• Kummo
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2010 DRZ400E
Hey Eastwood,

I am still using the original one. I have a pro filter on standby but the pours in the foam look much larger than the original one, however I have not looked it properly as it's still in the packet.
Yeah those funnel web onse look awesome, dear as poison though I recon.

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2934

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I just bought one from ebay, cam pre-oiled, however, while we're on the subject,

the book states to clean the filter with a "Non Flammable cleaning solvent", then "immerse in motor oil and squeeze off the excess"

Recommendations for a "Non Flammable cleaning solvent"

And who uses motor oil, or do people generally use special filter stuff? Any recommendations for this?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2936

I've used diesel in the past with good results. Obviously flammable but pretty safe as long as you're not smoking! Plus it leaves the filter semi-oiled.

I'm currently trying no-toil evolution - its oil free, environmentally friendly etc - google it for more info.
Not cheap but watch out for specials at Torpedo7.

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2937

I read in a mag, I think it might have been TBAM, that it is good to wash the filter in the same stuff you wash your bike in. I wash the bike in standard car wash and wash the filter in the same, so far it has done a tremendous job and wouldnt go past it. I wash it regularly, every second ride or so and will continue to do so. I have a twin air air filter as well as the standard and both handle it fine. I then use motul air filter oil. It works for me so, but others may have different/better ideas.

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2940

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Do you think this stuff would be ok (see pic)? Cheap as chips in supercheap.

Say's it's flammable, but I think they mean the aerosol, not the stuff inside?
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2941

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
I wash mine (soak for a few minutes)in warm water and laundry powder and rinse out a few times, let it dry, then use proper filter oil. I have a spare filter and change them over.

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2944

• Kummo
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2010 DRZ400E
I have been doing what they say I this site.

www.fairdinkumbiketours.com.au/techtips.html#16

See air filter Mantenance. These Gus have a lot of DRZ's

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2945

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
I've used pro filters and uni filters which are fine - but now have been using funnel web filters which are excellent...recommend them highly.
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2966

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
I run a K+N air filter with the pre charger (like a fine stocking that goes over the filter & reuseable too) and use the K+N cleaner and oil. Use this and clean air filter after every ride. Never had a problem with it. can buy the cleaner and oil from repco and prob any parts store. Hope this helps.

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 11 months ago #2969

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I have been using Kerosene for 30 years , (seen all the fancy cleaners come and go) let it dry and work a few drops of engine oil around . Works good and its cheap ?

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 10 months ago #3023

• Toally
  • Fresh Boarder
i use a TWIN AIR filter from cassonsB2B, (2 stage element filter) not pre oiled, use motul C4 series air filter oil spray awsome stuff!!!!

Re: Air Filters 7 years, 10 months ago #3025

• Buddy
  • Senior Boarder
I wash in warm/hot laundry detergent rinse several times and coat with Silkoline Filter Oil. Have used turps to clean really dirty filters. The main thing is to 1. not use something that destroys that the composition of the filter material. 2. Doesnt leave something (a film) on the filter that will break down the oil (or what ever you use to coat the filter).
Another interesting thing an Air Filter Manufacturer told me once is that the most efficient air cleaner is a dirty one...only problem is a very dirty filter wont let as much air through....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds