You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Off road pants
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Off road pants

Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2887

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Just been looking at some off road pants in the $100 range (O'Neal, Fox etc), and surprised to find no armour in the knees - just a thicker rubberised area? Are they all like this? Is there much point wearing them?

Thoughts?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2922

• 10DRZ
  • Senior Boarder
Mate I only been riding for bout 10yrs and never had pants with knee armour as the sell them separate for around $650 for good ones bloody expensive I don't use them but friends do I think they are great if that helps

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2923

• 10DRZ
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry * they think that they are great I can't wear them uncomfortable in my opinion

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2924

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the reply - I've only recently got into off road riding after about ten or so years of riding road bikes - I know a lot of the road pants have built in protection in the knees. I keep looking at all the rocks as I'm riding around - haven't come off (properly) yet, but those rocks do look awfully hard, if you know what I mean...

Might have a look at some of the dri-rider stuff.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2926

• 10DRZ
  • Senior Boarder
Yer haha know the feeling, I have dri rider jacket for winter and it's great back and elbow protection all can be removed and the pants look good

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2928

Why dont you look into a basic set of knee guards, they are cheap as chips and for basic fall protection they are great. I had a set (still do actually) but upgraded to asterix knee braces due to serious injuries but was quite comfortable with the knee guards, it is very comforting to know that you have something there just in case. In terms of pants, i have the full length over boot style, I do mainly all off road work but love the extra splash protection and ease of use (they fit over boots, my knee braces or guards to put on or take off and they have a few sensibly placed pockets where things dont dig in while riding or falling).
Hope that helps a bit, but it all comes down to your riding style, type and budget in the end (also budget).

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2931

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Boom, any recommendations on brands?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2938

Agree with Boom - just get a set of cheap knee guards (any brand).
I have EVS, bought from the US. They fit inside my Sidi Crossfire boots, and I wear Klim Dakar pants over the whole lot.
Feel a bit like an astronaut when I first put it all on, but after 5 mins on the bike hardly know its there.

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2939

Gday Clarkey

Both my pants and knee guards are fox (coincidence only), the guards are knee and shin type, that have a split for hinge type movement, I really liked the safer feel they gave (although i wouldnt swap the ultra safe feel of the braces, but they were a fair bit more expensive). The over the boot pants are fox as well, with a bit more knee protection with a leather padded section.

Hope this helps mate.

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2942

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Do the knee/shin guards fit when wearing boots?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Off road pants 7 years, 11 months ago #2950

• Roy
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Clarkey,

Same as Boom Boom I have the asterisk knee braces thanks to a previously snapped ACL. Like he says they're very expensive but I wish I'd had them when I had my crash. Probably could have avoided the surgery.

I wear mine with Sidi Crossfires and yes they fit under the boot. They also have the ablity to strap the brace to the boot so that in the event your toe catches something it bend your leg out from the hip rather than twisting your knee. I don't use this but I guess it depends on whether you prefer a knee or hip replacement.....

Standard knee guards shouldn't have any effect with boots. Braces need a little bit of adjustment to get right.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds