you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Electric Fan on Australian E models
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: Electric Fan on Australian E models

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2905

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Dave,

I bought my thermoswitch from revotec through Europa:

www.europaspares.com/product/0/16065/Revotec_Electric_Fan_Controller.html

A fair bit more expensive than your solution I'm afraid, although 50° & 70° sounds a little cool for the fans to be coming on, I would have thought? Do Jaycar do one with a higher temp rating?

Be interested to see a couple of pics of your setup, just to compare.

Cheers

Clarky
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2906

• DRZ_Dave
  • Fresh Boarder
Jaycar have a 100 deg unit.
Both my fans were hard wired to come on all the time anyway, so having them kick in a bit early is no big deal for me.
My fans are smaller and dont blow nearly as much air as that big mofo you've got.
According to the manual the thermostat opens at 75C and is fully open by 95c, so by that stage both my fans are going flatout but I doubt they will overpower the radiator.
I didn't take any pics putting it together but its pretty low tech, cable ties and heatshrink.
I'll take it apart and get some pics.
Dave

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2907

• DRZ_Dave
  • Fresh Boarder
Clarky, I just reviewed your pics.
That fan of yours pulls 2 amps, my little ones only draw 0.178 amps each !!
I thinks yours will be fairly effective.
Dave

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2908

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Guys, I'm in SA and have ridden trail rides etc with my mate (also on a drz400e) and we have never had any probs with the bikes overheating and we have ridden on 35+ days. Think it has a lot to do with the coolant used tho. Was told not to use most car stuff as it does not have enough glycol in it. We run the techtloy (think thats how it is spelt) pre mixed and never had a drama. Change and flush every 1000 - 1500kms. hope this helps.

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2910

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure that the E model has a thermostat? I'm pretty sure nominal operating temp of these bikes would be more than 75° too. Doubt it would make too much difference with fan that size and a manual choke though.

Be interested to see pics.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2911

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for your post Owey.

What sort of riding do you do? Do you keep a reasonable speed up? My concern is that there are some fairly steep & rocky tracks that I ride on sometimes - bike must be getting warm crawling up/down some sections.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2912

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Like Owey , I haven't had any over heating problems either but i usually stop because im over heating . Haven said that the S and Sm models have a radiator fan ? and as we know they are a very similar bike , haven owned all three i would defenately be more likely to over heat the E model in the bush on hot days . Makes me wonder why the E model has not got one ? , anyway looking like a nice job Clarky , im still wondering how these computer fans will hold up to the water . Even if i had to replace one every now and then , at that price its not that big of a deal ? ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2913

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Well, my temp gauge should be turning up soon, so should be able to get some real data, but I guess I would consider anything consistantly over 95° to be in the "too hot" catagory.

I may wire in a little bypass switch hidden somewhere, so I can test the fan is still working in case I suspect it has failed.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2914

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Hey Clarky, most of the riding we do is trail riding, some tight slow stuff and other more faster. also hill climbing and decending too. Have also used the bike for some racing stuff, chasing a few other mates round their custom track they r on crf450 & wr450 etc and have done about 5 laps of the 3km track full noise off and on and had no dramas. Hope this helps.

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2915

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Thinking about the heat side of it, normal thermostats on cars open up about 90, so I would say on a hot day as long as it is running under 105 - 110 should be fine. Because as you know, keeping the motor too cool will effect the peformance of the bike and fuel econ etc.

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2916

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the info Owey. I'm thinking that 105 - 110 may be a bit on the warm side, this is when a fan normally comes on. Water shouldn't boil in a car at 100° because of the pressurised system, which raises the boiling point, but I'd still say it's a bit too hot. Like I said though, I'm just speculating until I get the temp gauge fitted. If after the summer, I have no high temps, then I'll have wasted my time, but it should answer the question if nothing else.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2917

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
worth a thought tho... cheaper than a cooked motor, for sure. Biggest thing that I know of is using the right coolant (see post of mine above) techtloy 60 pre mixed. have a mate who has a bike shop and races bikes and sidecars and he has put me onto it. never let me down

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2918

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I use the Tectolaloy 100 Plus as the Clymer Maintenance book actually specifies 50/50 antifreeze/water ratio:

www.tectaloy.com/tectaloy_completefillcoolants_100plus.html

Looking through the book, it also states that on the S/SM models, the fan switches on at 96° and off again at 91°.

The temp warning light then comes on at 117° and switches off again, at 100°

The thermostat opens at 75°

Sounds like about 80° - 90° is the optimum temp then.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2920

• DRZ_Dave
  • Fresh Boarder
I dont think these fans will make much difference if you're moving along at anything more than maybe 15-20kph.
But real slow poking along I think they should help.

Anyway from my perspective, the fans were already there, the bits from Jaycar came in under $12, a bit of heatshrink, some solder and a bit of my time, why not?
Most computer shops would throw away dead Powersupplies and they mostly have 8cm fans, some have 12cm fans. If you want to try some they'll be beteween free and cheap.
If they dont last, coz they get wet or whatever it doesnt matter.
Worst case scenario they dont work, GO FASTER.
Dave

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2921

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Owey, I use the Tectolaloy 100 Plus as the Clymer Maintenance book actually specifies 50/50 antifreeze/water ratio:

Looking through the book, it also states that on the S/SM models, the fan switches on at 96° and off again at 91°.

The temp warning light then comes on at 117° and switches off again, at 100°

The thermostat opens at 75°

Sounds like about 80° - 90° is the optimum temp then.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds