you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Electric Fan on Australian E models
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: Electric Fan on Australian E models

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2869

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
TTO Temp Gauge ordered with bleed screw sensor. M6 X 1.0mm thread...
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2870

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah i see what you mean , i have noticed most things over in perth are dearer . And it is actually cheaper to buy parts from the USA . good luck with the fan ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2871

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Wayno - will keep my progress updated on here - I'm sure plenty of people have thought about doing this conversion.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2873

mate i did the trip to the cape with 50 kilos of gear plus a long range tank and spent a lot of it going slow over deep sandy trails some stretches nearly 200 hundred km's ... this was in winter however north QLD gets 30 deg days in winter so it was warm ... i never had a problem

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2874

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Interesting to hear. Did you have a temp gauge installed?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2876

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I have often thought about putting a fan on , so ill be sure to keep a watch on how it goes , thanks for sharing Clarky ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2877

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Wayno - looking around the web, it seems a few people have had the same thought about installing one, and discussions about whether a computer fan would work or not. I have installed one of those tiny tachs on the bike, so if the install goes ok, I will keep a track of the hours its run and the kms ridden, that way, if it dies I'll have some solid data on how long it lasted.

The fan I ordered turned up today (see pic) - it is exactly the same width as the radiator, it fits the RH rad with the horn removed - it might just need a bit of trimming on one edge - it's only plastic.

I tried it out on a power supply, and it supplies an impressive airflow for such a small fan. I will be installing a temp gauge as well, so should be pretty easy to see what sort of difference it makes. Will try and post a vid of the fan in action.

I also ordered the thermostatic switch today from Revotec, through Europa spares in the UK - was £83.50 delivered (AU$126 at current exchange rate), so the whole lot, not including the temp gauge has come to about AU$160

The bike is due a coolant change in a couple of hundred kms, so hopefully that should coincide with the switch turning up, as I will have to cut the water hose to install.

Clarky
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2878

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2879

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Well that looks like it is pushing plenty of air , should work really good . Im curious how it will go when you wash the bike , other than that you look like your on a winner . From memory i dont think the motard fan went as hard as that one ? ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2880

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I've not seen the motard fan in action, but I think this one will have enough power.

Washing wise, I guess I'll have to be a little sensible and keep a bag or cover handy to cover it over before I break out the hose or jet washer.

I folded some brackets at work today, so will try and get the mounting brackets made over the weekend, while I'm waiting for the other bits to turn up.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2883

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Out in the workshop tonight to have a bit of a play around - a pic showing the fan held into position to give an idea of size and fit. I have removed the horn bracket, as it was just touching.
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2884

no temp gauge just went by the overflow bottle if you get a boil over situation it will be pissing out all over the place and that you would notice... so other than filling up a tiny amount and then retracting back into the radiator no dramas honestly the dr's are a top motor.. thats what you get when you don't change it much over the last 10 odd years ... reliability

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2885

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Good to hear that mate. Have started anyway now, so will carry on - be interested to see what the cooling system temp gets to when the gauge arrives. What's considered "hot" normally - usually upwards of 95°, isn't it?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 3 months ago #2886

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Started making the outer bracket tonight (see pics) - trimmed it to the basic shape and drilled the mounting holes for it - am picking up on the side panel lower mounting hole, and a spare hole at the top as I didn't want to go drilling any extra holes in the frame/radiator.

The inner bracket I'm going to make in a similar way, but will bolt it through the same mounts that hold the radiator to the frame. Unfortunately, I am going to have to pull the hoses off and remove the radiator completely from the bike to gain enough access to install the bracket, so am going to wait til the bike is due a service in a couple of weeks time when the coolant will be changed anyway.

All for now..
Attachments:
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 7 years, 2 months ago #2904

• DRZ_Dave
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,
I've only had my DR for a couple of weeks now, and it already had two 9cm computer fans, one on each radiator.
I've been looking all over to see if anyone had figured a good thermo-switch solution as having the fans all the time the ignition is on was annnoying.
After trolling all over the Interweb and You-tube, I eventually found these at Jaycar
www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3833
www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3831
Thermo switches, one opens at 50C and one opens at 70C.
A little rewire job on the existing harness and now I have a quiet bike when its cold, at 50C one fan starts up, at 70C both fans are on.
I work in a computer shop, 8 and 9 cm case fans are dirt cheap and the Thermo switches are under $6 ea.
My fans and switches are mounted using cable ties looped through the radiator fins.
Even if I had to buy new fans, I reckon the whole deal could be done under $30.
I'm going to rewire it later on a separately switched circuit so the fans will continue to run even if the ignition is off.
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds