you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Lowering Suspension
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lowering Suspension

Lowering Suspension 8 years, 5 months ago #2443

Hey guys

Has anyone lowered their DRZ suspension??? I'm keen to hear any tips on how to go about it. I've kind of recovered from my fall in October '11 when I dislocated my elbow. I want to get back on the bike but I think it is a bit tall for me. I'm 5'8 but my feet don't touch the ground when I sit on the bike. I think by lowering the bike so I can have my feet flat on the ground may inspire confidence once again. Any experiences/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Scarecrow

Re: Lowering Suspension 8 years, 4 months ago #2486

• Roy
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Scarecrow,

I had the same problem as you as I'm only 5'6" and I struggled all the time. I used to look for a log or something to pull up next to so I could stop comfortably.

You can buy lowering blocks that go into your suspension and will reduce the height by an inch or two depending on what size you get. However, I've heard that the bike can then bottom out more easily. I'm not totally sure of the process for installing them but I do believe you need special tools for spring compression when fitting it. I might be wrong about this because I didn't do it.

What I did do in the end was shave my seat down. A new seat is about $200 - $250 I think so I thought the risk was worth it (or I could have looked for one second hand). Anyway, took the cover off the seat, marked out with black texta as to where to cut the foam, then I cut the foam with a hack saw blade and sanded and shaped it with sandpaper. Then I put the cover back on with a stapler from Bunnings and trimmed the overlap of the seat cover.

It worked really well because I can now get both feet on the ground and the shape of my seat forces me to sit forward which suits my riding style. I'm really happy with the result overall. It's about a 3 - 4 beer job.

Cheers

Re: Lowering Suspension 8 years, 4 months ago #2487

Thanks Roy. I've taken the suspension out and given it to be 'worked' I'm told a spacer or two will do the job and bring the bike down by 20 or more mm. The front end will also be lowered to suit. The spacers will resolve the 'bottoming out' issue I'm told. 20mm does not sound like a lot, but I 'll wait till the bikes together again and see how the height feels. I like your idea about taking a bit off the seat. I my have to do that if the bike is still tall for me. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I've been invited to a Vic high country ride for a week in April, nothing extreme, some open trails around Bright to check out the scenery and boost my confidence after my crash. I'm keen to get the height right. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers
Scarecrow

Re: Lowering Suspension 8 years, 4 months ago #2513

• Glennboy
  • Junior Boarder
You can buy a gel seat from Suzuki about $270 dollars seat is about an inch lower I think.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds