you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride

Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1980

• the doc
  • Fresh Boarder
Gday all just returned from the Tk memorial ride in the Flinders ranges, quite a few DRZ400`s and lots of Dr650`s.
I got to lead the ride for 2 days around the Blinman area, then up thru mostly private access on Station tracks. Their were about 70 bikes attending and 45 followed me thru to Arkaroola.
No problems with the Drz we rode approx 1000km in the 3 days.
Lots of bikes were from interstate and FULLY loaded with all their gear.
A great ride for a in memory of a great man.
The Doc

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1981

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Great to hear that you had a good ride Doc. TK was indeed an inspiration to a generation of riders. His attitude and 'just do it' approach opened up adventure riding as a recreation to many readers.

I have been trying to get some feedback on setting up my gearing on the DRZ400 for touring. What sprockets did you run for this ride? What was your cruising speed?

More details of what happened please.

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1983

• the doc
  • Fresh Boarder
Gday Xrman, Yes you are spot on about Tk, and his attitude was reflected by those attending the ride.
My new Drz is still running std gearing so i sat on 120km on the roads, it was reving harder than I would like.
I will be changing the gearing to 15/44 soon!
I have 2 drz`s and the older one runs this gearing no problems, its done 65,000km so it has been retired to the shed and replaced with a low km 2007 model.
It looks like the Tk ride will be an annual ride in a different location each year, we raised money for Motor Neurone Disease as this is what claimed Tk.
There is a thread on ADV RIDER with lots of pics etc.
The Doc

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1984

• merretta
  • Administrator
Looks like a very well organised event, great photo of all the bikes lined up down the street.

www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680465
2015 DR-Z400E, Powernow Intake, Edge LED Tail Light. Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Suzuki Bash Plate, B&B case saver

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1985

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I had a look at the ADV ride report too. Sometime working for a living sucks when you would love to down tools and attend such an event!

I am using 15/47 sprockets now and first seems a little high. It cruises at 100 kph without effort though. 15/44 would seem great for road riding and I guess a sprocket swap is only a 5 minute job to go back to 14T.

I still think we should try for a DRZ get togehter in the Flinders Ranges. Hopefully in 2012 I will have the support to get away from work more often! We could meet at Peterborough ( not far form my birth place in Riverton I think) and ride up to the Flinders and back.

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1987

• the doc
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes a drz ride to the flinders would be good, I am involved with The Flinders Classic a DBW ride every year based at Angorichina Village in the Flinders.Lots of Drz`s on that ride.
You can ride to Peterborough on the dirt from Roseworthy via back roads thru Burra.
Let me know and we can organise to meet you at Burra and show you some good roads etc to P/Boro.
I dont do a lot of 1st gear riding so the higher gearing suits me!
The Doc

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1990

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Doc,

Tell me more about the Flinders Classic DBW event.

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 10 months ago #1992

• the doc
  • Fresh Boarder
Gday, The Flinders classic is a social trail ride ride based in and around the Blinman area of the flinders ranges.
The event is held annually, last one was in april over 4 days.
Their is no set agenda just different ride options depending on your ability/bike.
Their are road(Dirt/bitumen) based rides thru the gorges to Wilpena (Latte! crowd),
The Artimore PAR (Public Access Road) more suited to trail bikes and then some private property staton tracks access suited to the more hard core riders (difficulty about 6 out of 10)
All bikes must be registered and riders licensed.
Accomadation is available(free camping in the gorge to cabins and a bunk house at Angorichina Village)
Do a search on DBW for the ride reports and LOTS of photos.
A date hasnt been set for next year,YET!
The Doc

Re: Flinders Ranges TK memorial ride 8 years, 4 months ago #2503

Well, well, well, Doc, look who you find hanging around these forums!!!!

Doc plays himself down a little as he is one of the best ride guides around the Flinders and certainly makes himself very useful for the Flinders Classic (last weekend in April coming up - all booked out with 110 starters). There will be a large number of DRZ400E's present, including mine and Doc's.

He also played a big role in the success of the TK Ride and I've managed to find a photograph from the 2011 Classic which shows him in all his glory. Note the tyre choice for last year's Classic - classic!!

DSC04151.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds