Engine failure
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Engine failure

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1170

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
wayno wrote:
Sorry to hear that Random .. Why would the dealer want to give you a picture of the motor ?? .. Why not just take you out to the work shop and show you the bike ? Im sure safari tanks would not be pleased to hear this (Irene Price) say that about there tanks ... I have one sitting on my bike at the moment , waiting to go away for a trip at xmas ??? Perhaps i should ring Irene and ask her if it would be wise to take it of ?..The addition of a safari tank will not hurt yours or anyones bike .. If the dealer cant tell you what went wrong with the motor after pulling it down, your in the wrong shop for a start .. You really need to find out what went wrong with the motor , and not be kept in the dark ... Perhaps take the bike some where else where everything isnt a secret ? .... good luck Random ..

As it happens I too have a Safari tank fitted and have sent Safari a copy of the link to this saga, so lets see
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1171

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
I don't have a safari tank and I am only speculating here but maybe they believe the big tank restricts air flow to the radiators and motor causing overheating problems.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1172

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I really doubt that a safari tank can limit the air flow through the fins of a radiator to dissipate the heat from the water cooling the engine. After all the standard tank has radiator deflectors in place to do exactly what the lower part of the safari tank does.

Over heating would be caused by:
1) water amount being deficient
2) watre pump broken
3) blocked/ kinked water pipes form the radiator to the head

Or more likely

1) inadequate oil amount
2) old oil
3) poor qaulity oil
4) oil pump or circulation system non functional

Or something broke and jammed in th emotor causing failure.

I would ask for an independant mechanic's opinion.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1173

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
Sorry to hear the bad news randomdude. Pretty sure they cant just void the warrenty becuase you had a safari tank on there mate, if i was you i would keep pushing for a fix under warrenty.

Have they given you anything in writing yet?

Really hope you can get it sorted in your favour mate.
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1174

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Safari tanks and heat ??......Three years ago i rode a drz400s from newcastle to albury in the middle of summer , down the Hume hwy.. Kept a steady pace of about 110kmh , 15 front and 39 rear sprocket .. The temp that day would have had to of been around 40 to 45 degrees , seriously hot out in the sun .. Just from newcastle to albury i lost 50% of the tread from the new road tyre i put on for the trip ... I only stopped two or three times , I know i pushed the bike really hard that day and with my 17ltr safari tank on, i know they wont add to any heating problems .... So for anyone who has one , dont take to much notice of what has been said here in this thread , dont worry about your tank , it will be quite fine .... cheers ..

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1175

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Just to clear things up if you read my post about heat issues I stated my comment was just speculation. This was due to the fact that Random Dude is claiming Suzuki voided his warranty as a result of him having a 28L Safari tank fitted. I like most was trying to understand, with the limited information supplied, what Suzuki’s justification for this would be.

My person view on the failure of this engine is we are not getting all the information required to make any definitive comments as to whether this is a true warranty issue or user misuse and what the possible cause of the failure was.

What I do know is it has been documented on this very website by Random Dude that at least 4 months prior to the engine failure this engine was showing signs of problems with a noise under acceleration. The cause of this noise could be many and varied but a common noise in engines is pinging or detonation. Left unchecked this can cause significant damage to the piston including melt down. Coincidentally Random Dude has reported the engine had a piston melt down. Was this the cause of the engine failure? Who knows. Without knowing everything about the full history of the bike and the full damage done it is impossible to make a call.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1176

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes your right Scotty, i also noticed Random had a problem with his motor awhile ago... I was just wanting to give my view on the safari tank and riding with them on hot days ..
Having said that this is just my opinion, i dont believe they will cause any problems .. cheers ..

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1177

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
Never the less the Lady from Suzuki allegedly said..............

I have a 17ltr tank fitted and have a aftermarket pipe fitted, I am considering what to do with the fuelling, adjust new jets etc. The bike appears to be running fine no pinging etc. I would be interested in the reasons for this failure?

If Suzuki class an after market tank as a significant modification then they have from their point of view a solid warranty, ie no claims as there are very few DRZ400s out there in standard trim. Changed the indicators/tail lamps/head light sharp intake of breath .... electrical problem...... not our fault, tank.......... exhaust.........bars.......etc, what is a non significant mod ah?
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1181

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
i personally think it is not a black and white sitch......something smells.....not pointing fingers i just cant see this happening to me without having more info from suzuki...or..belting someone..... one of the two.....so i dont think we should get to tied up in this topic.....if random dude wants to give me the dealers phone number i will call and them and try and help him out and see if i can get him some answers (not that im anyone special).....but all this conjecture is not constructive for either party involved....we want people buying and love the drz400 and all these posts about this topic is getting spread world wide....i was out riding with a bloke and he aint even a drz.com member and was commenting about this topic....

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1190

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
well said daz,,
a mate of mine that works for a mixed dealership and yes suzuki is one of them,
he called me the other day and he to is confused on the fuzzy details.
lets face it the drz is a great bike,, it all comes down to maintinace
and how you treat it,, none of us know the full story and he thinks there may be a mis-comunication with random dude, and the detail he may have provided..
my advice to random dude is to get a lawyer if your not happy with what suzuki has told you,, if you think you are right then the cost of a lawyer would be cheaper than letting $9000 go down the toilet just because what some has told you on why they wont cover the waranty..

problem solved,, if you broke it , live with it , if not , get a lawyer

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1193

• alig73
  • Senior Boarder
I've had both my Safari Tank and standard tank on my DRZ and it has a Trail Tech Vapour speedo with temp sensor and there is no difference in the temp read out in either high speed and slow speed riding

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 4 months ago #1197

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
alig73 wrote:
I've had both my Safari Tank and standard tank on my DRZ and it has a Trail Tech Vapour speedo with temp sensor and there is noticeable difference in the temp read out in either high speed and slow speed riding

Not clear what you are saying is there a difference and if so what is it? I suspect you are saying there is no difference

Cheers

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 3 months ago #1200

• alig73
  • Senior Boarder
I meant no differance in temp read out

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 3 months ago #1201

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
alig73 wrote:
I meant no differance in temp read out

Thanks that what I hoped you meant.

Cheers

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 3 months ago #1203

• Paddo
  • Junior Boarder
After reading all the replys , I do have one question to ask.
You reported awhile back engine rattle and stated it had only 800kms on it so its still a new bike.
Why didnt you take the bike back to the dealer at that point in time?
And get them to check it over for you as it would have been under warranty and Im sure you wouldnt be having the trouble you are now with the dealer.
Especially if the 2 problems are connect to each other(rattle causing engine failure)
I cant see how the tank would cause the problem as I know in the Australian Safiari there were DRZ400's running with the bigger tanks and its gets bloody hot in Kalgoorlie for that run.
Well I hope you get it sorted soon mate so you can get back on and enjoy her.(doesnt sound correct, but what the heck:) )
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds