you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Engine failure
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Engine failure

Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #901

Yesterday while riding i had the bike loose power and stop.

After waiting for 20mins or so to cool it re-started and I began to nurse it the 10km back to the trailer.

When we were just short of getting back to the trailer one of the guys i was riding with waved me down and so i stoped.

There was oil everywhere and no compression. I don't know what has gone wrong yet but i think that its pretty terminal.

Anyway - the bike is heading back to Perth where the suzuki lads are going to have a look at it. Lucky i have only had the bike 8 months and they come with 12 month warranty.

Will inform more once I hear from the dealer on what has gone wrong.

Cheers,

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #908

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
That sucks. Mate keep us updated on what failed and how Suzuki look after the problem.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #909

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
Unlucky mate, hope they fix it all for you. Will be interested to hear what has gone wrong with it to cause the failure.
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #911

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
thats no good ......interested to see how suzuki handle it....make sure you tell them you are part of a DRZ400 religious party and that any bullshit wont be tollerated....or we will all buy chinese bikes.....or god forbid WR's.... :woohoo:

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #924

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
hey dude sorry to hear about the bike
how many K,s are on it?

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #927

only 1200km on it.

I spent a few hours getting all the oil off it and draining the fuel as the transport company wouldnt take it as is.

Anyway, bike gets picked up on the 10th, should be in Perth on the 12th and I should hear whats happened shortly after that.

I cant figure out what happened, because on the ride back to the trailer there were no strange noises or anything, just oil everywhere and it wouldnt idle. I figure that rings must be gone, or perhaps a hole in the piston (maybe caused by dropped valve?). This would have caused the bottom end to pressurise and blow the oil out. any thoughts?

I am just glad that it didnt sieze and spit me out! also, its a good thing that we had a great ride up to that point and we made it back to the trailer.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #934

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Doesnt sound good .... where was the oil coming from around the motor ?...You would think suzuki will fix anything that may have gone wrong . Good luck with it all ..

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #990

• alig73
  • Senior Boarder
thats no good keep us posted on how you go, maybe yours has an A 380 Rolls Royce engine in it

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #992

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
alig73 wrote:
maybe yours has an A 380 Rolls Royce engine in it

Hehe, thats gold.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1001

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
alig73 wrote:
....... maybe yours has an A 380 Rolls Royce engine in it

Grounded then, put that bike in the shed and drink beer on Suzuki? :P
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1048

Bike is now with the dealer and they are "having a look at it" - no commitment with regard to warranty at this stage, apparently it is up to Suzuki's discretion. Which pisses me off no end! I bought a bike with warranty, not a maybe!

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1050

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
A lot of dealers say that , would'nt matter if it was a washing machine or a camera .. Just be firm with them and dont take any crap ..Once they have a bit of a look at the bike, they will see you look after it .. The dealer has to cover his ass against the those guys that dont look after there bikes .. I would be very surprised if its not fixed under warranty , at no cost to you ..

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1072

Just heard from the dealer that Suzuki were not going to honour the warranty. Looks like we're going legal!

I have written to the dealer requesting all corro between them and Suzuki and a written response as to why the warranty is not going to be honoured. I guess the next step is ACCC and Dept. of Consumer Protection. Has anyone been down that path? Any tips?

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1073

Man that sucks. It will be interesting to see why they think they don't need to honour the warranty. They must think you've done something to cause the problem.

Re:Engine failure 7 years, 5 months ago #1074

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Don't forget to mention that you are in contact with many dirt bike riders on web forums who will be interested to find out why the dealer (so far un- named)and Suzuki won't honour the guarantee on what is sold as a "bullet proof bike".

Perhaps the DRZ400 does not deserve the reputation it has built if the later models are not holding together.

DBW, thumpertalk, ADV rider sites will be very interested in your plight. It could mean many sales lost to Suzuki.

I was toying with buying a Husky 310 until my local mechanic and feedback on sites mentioned above suggested that the Husky 2 year warranty was not worth the risk since they don't honour claims made.
Time to create page: 1.90 seconds