Username Password: Remember me

Muffler advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Muffler advice

Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #799

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
My new DRZ has been prepared by the dealer and the ADR restrictors have presumably been removed. I notice that the noise level is excessive for comfort(with no ear plugs).

I don't really want to replace the exhaust, just quieten it down a little. Will a B&B baffle or similar (Ballards)take the edge off the note?

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #800

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Go back to the shop where you bought the bike and ask for the baffle they took out .... Drill four of the holes (that are already in it) to 6mm ... all done ? no loss of power ..(that i could tell anyway)... Thats the easiest way out ...

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #803

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
yep +1

drill the original baffle - keeps it quiet and a little more grunt (not much)
Dan
09 Doctor

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #805

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Guys,

Good advice. I was thinking that the standard baffle must be like the XR Hondas. Quiet as a mouse but had the same effect as a pair of socks stuck in there.

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #806

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
OK I replaced the pepper pot look alike baffle back in there and the noise went from a deep booming to a higher pitched sound.
I drilled 4 by 6mm holes at 90 degrees apart. It sounded less weird. I guess a ride test is next.

How come KTM & Yamaha can make mufflers that perform and are quiet? It can't be that hard to do.

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #808

• DanD
  • Senior Boarder
I noticed that to with mine, the standard pipe is some what rude with the note that it lets out. I havent pulled it apart to see if the baffle is still there though? I am ditching the standard pipe for a full Staintune system soon so it wont matter I suppose :)

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #809

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Its probably not that hard for suzuki to do but i guess it comes down to $$$$$ .. And the drz is a good all round package ... price as well ..

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #811

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
The DRZ400 is selling well at present because it is discounted and is value for money. This is what many riders want, especially when the bike will need to do some road work too.

When the recession ends(I used the R word, sorry Ms. Gillard) the popularity of the DRZ will fall. Young men's fancy will alter to more sporty models at a higher price as they perceive employment security.

To extend the life of the DRZ with little expense prudent Suzuki designers will supply proper rated springs and valving in the suspension and an effective quiet muffler as standard. This will effectively reduce the price of the DRZ by about $1700 (after market suspension work and a exhaust system). Decent handle bars and risers too would be good if you are lurking Mr.Suzuki san.

The other manufacturers are viewing the DRZ400 market. See KTM400's re-introduction into our market a year or so ago, after many years claiming we Aussies didn't want 400s anymore. I asked Jeff Leisk to import the model over several years, but eventually gave up and bought a Yamaha WRF290. I suspect that a 400 cc version of the WR250R will be avavailable before long. It will cost more than the DRZ though, but it will market to the DRZ's deficiencies.

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #813

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
go with the stain tune thats what i did and its perfect....sounds good not too loud

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #814

• DanD
  • Senior Boarder
xrman wrote:
The DRZ400 is selling well at present because it is discounted and is value for money. This is what many riders want, especially when the bike will need to do some road work too.

When the recession ends(I used the R word, sorry Ms. Gillard) the popularity of the DRZ will fall. Young men's fancy will alter to more sporty models at a higher price as they perceive employment security.

To extend the life of the DRZ with little expense prudent Suzuki designers will supply proper rated springs and valving in the suspension and an effective quiet muffler as standard. This will effectively reduce the price of the DRZ by about $1700 (after market suspension work and a exhaust system). Decent handle bars and risers too would be good if you are lurking Mr.Suzuki san.

The other manufacturers are viewing the DRZ400 market. See KTM400's re-introduction into our market a year or so ago, after many years claiming we Aussies didn't want 400s anymore. I asked Jeff Leisk to import the model over several years, but eventually gave up and bought a Yamaha WRF290. I suspect that a 400 cc version of the WR250R will be avavailable before long. It will cost more than the DRZ though, but it will market to the DRZ's deficiencies.

I agree with you totally with this one. I bought a DRZ as the gearbox let go in my WR450F, hopefully the DRZ will hold up. I believe that it will, given the DRZ is a proper trail bike not a race bike. The WRF didn't give me any real dramas over the 6000km that I put on it. I bought a WR250R in 2008 and what a top bike they are, but for $10,500 they are a bit exy for what you get, if only Yamaha would bring out a 400 - 450 variant of it they would sell a heap of them maybe? Suzuki's pricing is very keen for the bike that you get, and with such pricing it means that you can fully bling a DRZ even to the point of having a set of motard wheels for what would be the price of a standard Yamaha.

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #816

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Cant say i agree with all of that ??? Really i think there is a certain market for the dr and its reliabilty and not haven to change the oil every time you go for a ride .... If honda and yamaha bring out a 400 it wont hurt the suzuki a bit .. not if you have the maintenance you have on them now ... not a chance ...

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #818

The suspension on the DRZ is nice and plush and good for the average Joe that wants to ride to work and occasionally do some dirt trails. The stock exhaust is a cheap piece of crap, but that's fine. They keep the bike price down by saving money on parts that they know most people will replace anyway.

There are heaps of bargins for the DRZ out there if you keep your eyes open. I got a brand new Muzzy muffler for $190 delivered for mine. Saved me 1kg in weight too.

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #819

• DanD
  • Senior Boarder
From the picture the Muzzy looks OK? What are they like in the flesh?

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #820

It's really nice, a very good quality unit. Sounds good too.

There are more pics and info down near the bottom of this page;
http://www.offroadvw.net/index.php?name=DRZ400E

Re:Muffler advice 7 years, 6 months ago #824

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I gave the bike a good off road and road test. The 4 by 6 mm holes in the pepper pot semed to work OK, with plenty of grunt and it lost some of that weird high pitched note.

I came across abloke on DBW that is using a mcperformance baffle on his DRZ400. Accoroding to him it gave a little better performance and cut noise to 94 DB with a less barky tone.

Cost is $160. google mcperformance for th eweb site. It doesn't mention th eDRZ400 baffle but I emailed Mark and he answered promptly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 2.24 seconds