Power Issues
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Power Issues

Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #770

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Hi fellow DRZ riders,

I have recently experienced issues with a lack of power from my DRZ. I took it for a ride a few weeks ago and it ran great, however, a few days later while on my way home from work I noticed the power was down.

It is a difficult issue to explain. The bike was responding sharply in top gear from 80 through to 110k + no probs at all, but now it lags noticably, almost like it is sucking allot of air....running lean maybe.

It's difficult to understand cause I have changed nothing on the bike, so maybe the weather has something to do with it.

Plan is to remove the carb and ensure it's clean and the float level is ok (which appears a mission in itself - being a former 2-stroke rider). I also plan to remove the coast enricher and was thinking about relocating the breather hoses to make carbie maintenance easier.

Was wondering if anyone out there has experienced similar issues or has done mods to the carb.

Goodie

Re:Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #772

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
How many K's on the bike and when was the last time the valve clearances were checked?

Re:Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #775

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
If it was a fuel issue, I would have thought that the bike would slow dramatically, like when you run out of fuel. Check that your fuel tank breather hose is not blocked/crimped.

Does is pop and fart on deceleration (lean) or just feel doughy ( rich)?

Good luck with getting the carb out! I took mine out of a WRF YAmaha yesterday and it took a bit of doing. You should be able to take out he drain bot at the bottom and see if there is grit/crap in th ecarb float. Another way to get the float valve needle to drop and thereby flush junk from the needle/seat is to run th ebike with the fuel tap turned off. As the fuel i sused up the float drops right down, then after th emotor dies, switch the fuel tap back on and 90% of the time any junk inthe seat is flushed out. The old trick of banging float bowl with a spanner will sometimes release a sticking float valve.

I would check for a leak in the carbie manifold and air filter boot.
Check all the carbie breather tubes are clear/not kinked.

Re:Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #784

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the tips. I think I will remove the carb so I can give it a good once over and check the float level and jetting specs.

The bike runs fine otherwise, no popping or starting issues. I haven't completely ruled out valve tolerance however, for it to change suddenly and not have any of the fore mentioned issues is a bit strange.

Re:Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #854

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
I pulled the carb out yesterday (prick of a job first time round too) and I gave it a clean (now - I didn't use carbie cleaner, just compressed air and didn't remove the slide or pilot screw)

I installed it with no change. I wound the pilot screw out and played around a bit and ended up re-installing the airbox snorkel. The bike is running a bit better in mid range (not as sweet as it used to) but the flat spot is still there on sharp acceleration from idle.

I removed the plug, and it wasn't wet but did have a significant amount of black carbon deposit on it.

What I am guessing at the moment, is that it is running rich at idle, and with the snorkel removed is running lean in the mid-range meaning I may have to raise the clip position. Top end appears fine to me.
If anyone can give me any further ideas they would be appreciated. Like I said the bike developed it all of a sudden. I figure change in temperature and humidity may have played a part. I also read the manual and it mentioned the throttle position sensor but I am unsure what impact this has on the bike.

I intend to remove the carb again, and clean it properly this time.

Re:Power Issues 7 years, 4 months ago #855

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Is your air filter dirty? take it out and see if the problem is solved.

Are the carbie sensor plugs corroded?

Has the fuel screw vibrated open? This is hard to check an dusually you need an aftermarket T piece to repalc eth estandard adjuste rscrew so that you can accuratelty change the fuel screw setting to see if the early throttle response is lumpy or not.

It sounds as if it is running rich not lean. Has the pumper mechanism started to pump in too much fuel when you accelerate?

Try a new sparkplug.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds