Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It !
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It !

DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 8 months ago #5391

• tryr
  • Fresh Boarder
Out of the blue my oem speedometer (2008 with 10000 klms on clock )stopped working. No numbers on dash when ignition turned on just the orange back light.

I went to the dealer and was quoted $1600.00 for a new one. If I had known this part was so expensive I would have removed it from the get go and used a cheap round dial one. The neutral,high beam and indicator lights are separate to speedometer and work fine.

I am aware there are 2 speedometer versions. The old 4 pin plug and the updated 3 pin which is probably what everyone has here. My 2008 DRZ400E has the 3 pin plug red,orange and black/white earth. The older DRZ400S version has an extra grey wire.

I think maybe in the US the 4 pin DRZ400S plug was replaced after 2004.They also show a select button on the right side to change speedometer from miles to Klms, but the odometer still reads in miles. Some guy did show how to fix the odometer but it might be too risky for a novice.

I was gob smacked at ths oem speedo price and that does not include the neutral, high beam, indicators dash lights

Re: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 8 months ago #5392

• Grumpy
  • Senior Boarder
Replace it with a vapor. Better unit with more features

Re: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 8 months ago #5403

• Owl
  • Senior Boarder
I just got rid of mine and have my phone with this running play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrchops.android.digihud&hl=en

cbf setting up and changing speedo sensors etc when I swap motar/dirt wheels.

I see plenty of second hand ones for around $100.

Throttle cables are just as bad, I was quoted $150 for a replacement throttle cable yesterday. Going to just get one made locally for around $25 and with better quality cable probably.

Re: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 8 months ago #5404

• tryr
  • Fresh Boarder
I managed to get a brand new oem speedometer off ebay for $350. It was meant for a 2004 Canadian Kawasaki KLX400. Part number 25005-S006 KLMS

The information I found said the grey wire on this 4 plug speedometer is for backlight and I can confirm this.

I swapped the 4 pin for the 3 pin plug off 2008 DRZ400E speedometer. I have the orange and grey wire from speedo merged then into the orange wire on 3 pin plug. The other 2 as per normal.(3 wires. Red,Orange and Black).

Everything is working ok. (touch wood ).

Re: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 8 months ago #5407

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Can I ask , why didn't you get a vapor .

Re: DRZ400E speedometer . Look After It ! 2 years, 2 months ago #5545

• Robsz
  • Fresh Boarder
Can I ask - what model Vapor do you guys recommend / run?? Thinking about switching mine.

Pro's / Cons?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds