Username Password: Remember me

noisy knock in top end
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: noisy knock in top end

noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4411

• petem
  • Fresh Boarder
I just bought an 04 drz 400 e it has a noise in the top end. the cam chain adjuster was full extended so I thought it must be the timing chain. after replacing with new t/chain and valve adjustment it still makes the same noise as before, a(scuffly knock) sound . I know that's a strange way to describe it but that's the only way I can describe it. anyway does anybody know if there is any common problems with the drz's that may help explain this noise. I think it may be piston slap or something as serious. if anyone has any ideas it would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers
Pete

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4412

• Bucky
  • Junior Boarder
I have an 05 with the knock in it as well. Been like it for the last 2000km that I have owned her with no dramas at all. My mechanic said he has seen heaps with the knock and not to worry. Quick google says it is fine and many have the 'knock' its almost like it was built in. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the bike I wouldnt be to worried.

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4413

• petem
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply Bucky, when I did the t/chain on the drz we did my mates klx 400 at the same time, the klx came out sounding as quit as a mouse with 30 000 ks on the clock. I'll take your comments on board but it makes me wonder why one has no noise at all.
Cheers mate

Pete.

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4414

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi , I would say its more unusual for your mates KLX to be so quite , im on my 5th DRZ and they have all made a fair amount of noise , brand new ones included . Try and have a listen to a few other DRZ,s and then compare . They are a noisy motor . How many klm has your bike done , and is it loosing power ? ..

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4439

• petem
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your reply wayno sorry it took so long to reply, I've been away. anyway I don't know how many ks on it, as the spedo does not work but my guess would be a lot, but it does not blow any smoke.
cheers

Pete

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4440

• petem
  • Fresh Boarder
and no it,s got plenty of power

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4441

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
probably nothing to worry about , but cant hurt to take it to some one that knows DRZ's , or if you get a chance have a listen to a few others , one of mine has over 31000 klm and the other 3000 klm and they sound the same ...

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 11 months ago #4444

mine has the same noise. MY12 bought it brand new and has always had it. I think no need to worry.

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 10 months ago #4481

I had the top end knocking sound and got rid of it by using premium ULP fuel.

Re: noisy knock in top end 3 years, 10 months ago #4483

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
sounds like a cam chain noice to me , i just made my auto tentioner into a manual one and my knock disaperd
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds