Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Road Performance
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Road Performance

Road Performance 8 years ago #414

Hi Guys,

I am just in the process of looking at getting a DRZ. It will be my first bike, but from what I have read and heard about them they seem like a great Bike.

My only concern is how they go on the road.
What are they like on a longish ride. Say 50-100km on the road. I am in Sydney so I will be riding those sort of K's to get on dirt.

How safe are they on the road? I know it is a broad question, but I guess I am trying to ask how safe for a learner with no previous experience.

What is the noise like on a long ride on the road or if I use it as a commutor.

Thanks,
Troy

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #415

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Welcome aboard mate, I have used my DRZ as a commuter when my car was written off and I was without a car for 6 weeks although I was only travelling 20km to work it was mostly freeway and the DRZ really needs to be re-geared for this work. At 110Kmh she is reving pretty hard. The DRZ will do this all day long but it just doesn't feel right.

The standard gearing is 14/47, I now run 14/44 which is still low enough for tight bush work. I know others who have geared even higher than this with no problems. The DRZ has a lot of torque and can pull tall gears.

As for the noise this more comes down to your helmet. Most motocross style helmets are designed to let air in to keep you cool. The problem with this at higher speed your helmet can sound like you got ya head in a wind tunnel. I use ear plugs on longer higher speed ride to solve this problem.

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #416

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
Gday mate, i rid mine to work occasionly and its about 40ks each way with about 30ks of that being 100kph speed limit. I have standard gearing and it does it no trouble. Would be a nicer ride if it had a few less revs. I willbe changing my front sprocket over to a 15 tooth and see how much that helps.

Hope you enjoy your new toy mate. :cheer:
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #417

Thanks for the speedy reply.

So as a learner using it as a commutor.....mainly 60km / hr. What you consider it to be a safe bike for a leaner.

Going back to the bike shop for a final look :)

Thanks again
Troy

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #418

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
troycomp14 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am just in the process of looking at getting a DRZ. It will be my first bike, but from what I have read and heard about them they seem like a great Bike.

My only concern is how they go on the road.
What are they like on a longish ride. Say 50-100km on the road. I am in Sydney so I will be riding those sort of K's to get on dirt.

How safe are they on the road? I know it is a broad question, but I guess I am trying to ask how safe for a learner with no previous experience.

What is the noise like on a long ride on the road or if I use it as a commutor.

Thanks,
Troy

I am using mine daily at 35km each was per day, is it noisier than my GS1200, yes is it less comfortable, yes, can it do the job and be fun, most certainly, i use through choice. The gearing is standard as is the suspension.

It certainly makes me smile :woohoo:
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #419

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah the DRZ will be ok for a learner as long as you use common sense and don't try and ride it like Casey Stoner or Chad Reed. The power the DRZ400 has is pretty smooth.

Without trying to confuse your decision, if you think the DRZ400 will be to much take a look at the 250. Believe it or not the DRZ250 is actually a very good commuter, maybe even better than the 400. The 250 has a 6 speed gearbox which give it a better top gear for road and is still a very capable bike in the bush.

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #420

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
The 400 or the 250 would be fine, but i would go for the 400 as you can grow into it as you become a more confidant rider. It doesnt matter what size bike you get you need to learn throttle control.

As for being safe on the road, the bike is but you need to make sure you keep yourself in a safe position all the time, dont sit in the blindspots next to cars that sort of thing. Dont suffer from target fixation either as you go where you look. Keep yorself aware of what is around you at all times.

Ride hard ride safe mate.
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #421

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
You might want to ask the guys in the shop to swap over the standard knobby tyres and put on some road trail tyres ........Your going to be a whole lot safer on the road with those on .......And as a learner you probably wont be getting into to much serious bush riding just yet ????? The trail tyres will do the job pretty well for you .........I once rode a drz 400 S from geelong to brisbane and back ?? yeah i had a very sore backside ?? I seriously think the drz 400 is one of the best bikes ever made ...
A big statement i know but theres nothing you really cant do on one of these bikes ...... good luck Troy....

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #423

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

Much appreciated

Thanks,
Troy

Re:Road Performance 8 years ago #426

• Belly from oz
  • Junior Boarder
  • Enjoy whatever you do to the upmost.
Hey Troycomp14,
I have the 400 and my girl has the 250, I ride to and from work everyday about 25klms road and 8 klm dirt. Whilst it is great to have the 400 in the dirt, when I borrow my girls bike it is much much better on the road with the 6 gears. It definately doesn't work as hard. Anyone can ride almost any bike while everthing is going ok, but when theres a problem then the bigger the bike the more trouble your in. When learning and pop over something and that throttle gets a little too much rotation on landing with the bumps, well the 250 will be much more user freindly. the 400 will be gone with you hanging on. I do feel that you will learn more and a lot quicker on the 250 with better control that you can apply to a bigger bike latter on. But hey, what the hell, if you want lots of grunt and more adrenaline, then get the 400.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds