you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Sprockets
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sprockets

Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3919

In the next couple of weeks I will be buying a new Suzuki DR-Z400E and I want to swap the sprockets out. Can someone please tell me if this is a good combination???

• 13 Front, and
  • 49 Rear.

This is what the dealer has advised me but, I am interested in any input you can give me. I just don't want the bike to be screaming it's tits off at 100kph and this set up is required for 95% road use. Tyres I will be running are Dunlop Trailmax

Thanks for your advise.
n00b rider but, keen as mustard to learn more :thumbs:

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3924

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
The standard sprockets should be 14/47 , putting on 13/49 you would be lucky to get 100klm out of it .. I have tried a lot of different combanations and for 95% road use i have settled on 14/41 , its a little high for single tracks and hills but good for open trails and dirt roads .. I have gone as high as 15/41 ..That dunlop trailmax looks ok , i use bridgestone trailwing there really grippy on the road and not to bad in the dirt ..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ray.Jay1971

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3925

Thanks for your input wayno, it is greatly appreciated.
n00b rider but, keen as mustard to learn more :thumbs:

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3926

• merretta
  • Administrator
Welcome to the site Ray.Jay1971. I would recommend changing the standard 14/47 to a 15/47 first as it is a good starting point and you will not have to change the length of your chain. As a guide changing 1 tooth on the front is around the same as changing three teeth on the back sprocket.

I agree with Wayno a 13/49 wouldn't even get 100klm but you would get you off the mark quick.

I am guessing from what you have said you will end up with a 15/44. Their is a gearing calculator under the resources menu where you select your bike and sprocket sizes and it will tell you how many revs and the speed you will get. Note to see the Resources menu you need to be at the homepage.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Admin
2015 DR-Z400E, Powernow Intake, Edge LED Tail Light. Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Suzuki Bash Plate, B&B case saver

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3927

• merretta
  • Administrator
Hi Wayno, it's been a long time hey. I haven't had a DRZ or any bike for nearly two year :(. Good news is I have moved back to Canberra and will be buying another DRZ in January. We will have to try and organise another meet up in Victoria again do you still hear from Bill, Tony or Dan.

Andrew
2015 DR-Z400E, Powernow Intake, Edge LED Tail Light. Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Suzuki Bash Plate, B&B case saver

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3928

• my400e
  • Senior Boarder
Ray Jay, I took my DRZ up the Cape using 15/47 and the Bridgestone Gritty ED12 120/90. It was good, but was still revving at 100+ I agree with merretta with 15/44, that would be pretty good for 95% road use.
The dealers suggestion of 13/49 is ridiculous for 100 km/h.
Hope that helps...

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3931

• Ando
  • Expert Boarder
Agree with the low road speed on a 13/49 combo. I run 15/39 on my DRZ. Had up to 135 today and I don't think it had much left. Its on a motard setup though, so smaller wheels.

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3953

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi , Andrew , it has been a while , i haven't heard from any of the other guys . Good to hear your getting another bike , another meet up would be good , might even get a few more to come along . The ride at Bills was awesome , i still look at those pictures every now and then . Take care , and let me know if you ever come down this way you would be more than welcome .. cheers ..

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3954

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Ando , if you gear a drz to high it wont go as fast as you might think , geared right you should get 150klm . for maximum speed i would try 15/41, and that will give you a bit more punch out of the corners ..

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3956

• Ando
  • Expert Boarder
I'm not sure that mine is geared too high at 15/39, I thought it was kinda low still as I can only get a maximum of around 135 and the engine is screaming. Saying that, I haven't actually done anything with the gearing since I did the motard setup so I don't have anything to compare it too.

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3958

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
The DRZ has a rev limiter (10k) but i dont think it will hit that in top gear , with my motard wheels on (standard SM wheels) and with 15/41 gearing im getting 150klm ? . On private property of course ? . Like i said , if its geared to high it doesn't have the power there to push it along to reach 150klm .. Theres a happy medium .. And depending what you have done to the bike , the k's it has done .. My standard 2006 S model did 155klm ? go figure ..

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3959

• Ando
  • Expert Boarder
Wayno, your posts got me thinking so I have recounted the teeth on my countershaft sprocket and it's a 14, not a 15. Must have been drunk when I counted them after I bought the bike. Rookie mistake. Initially, I was going the trail and error method for setting up my gearing, so I just bought the 39 tooth as a starting point. 14/39 isn't so bad though.

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3961

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
14/39 is good , but im suprised your not getting more top end speed.

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 6 months ago #3963

• Ando
  • Expert Boarder
I'm not sure mate. Engine is fair screaming at 135 but def not at the limiter. It's all good. I'd rather do wheelies than go fast anyway.

Re: Sprockets 4 years, 5 months ago #3993

Gday rayJay1971 :P, yeh i have ran similar ones as well fellas. I actually brought rays last bike as my other Drz400 unfortunatley died. I had a fella at work redo the whole engine from a new bottom end and a big bore and stroked to 472 CC. Im yet to ride the thing but i want to sell it and as i see Ando is just around the corner from me, do you wanna by the un finished proejct Ando LOL.

Combo's ive tried are
13/44 Good setup
15/44 is great for me as im blackriver and ive had that upto 165 with that gearing. + knoblies but that was really skaty with little tread on the ground.
Currently im 14/47 and the poor girl screams at 120.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds