Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E

Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3419

• TwoFeels
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all,

I recently sold my Yamaha XT660X with the goal of buying a DRZ400SM. My good friend has one and I had regretted not getting one in the first place as I always had a blast when I rode it. I mainly do road riding and attend the motard track days out at Tailem Bend, SA, which are always a blast.

Over the past few weeks I have been considering purchasing a DRZ400E instead of the motard so that I also have the option of hitting some off-road trails.

I have a few questions and figured this would be the best place to ask:

First, what should I look out for specifically if I purchase a used DRZ400E?

I’ve found a clean looking 2010 model with low kms and (apparently) a good service history and am wondering what to look for when I go check it out.

My second question is – what is the cost and effort involved in chucking motard wheels on the E? I have seen rims on Ebay that apparently fit right on although the speedo won’t work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Should I get the E, I’ll be keen to link up for some SA rides too.

Regards,

Stew

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3425

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
There is a list somewhere of things to look at on DRZ, Is thought it was on this site but I cant find it at the moment.

Re the DRZe V sm, the E has different carb etc and has more power/response I believe, so do a bit of research. Sorry I have not studied the difference to much.

Also check a dealer for new prices, I bought mine new a few months ago cheaper than some secondhand were advertised.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoFeels

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3426

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Stew , Defanately buy the E model instead of the SM , it just gives you more options as far as riding goes . Have a few rides on your mates SM if you can , get a feel for how much power it has , now when you go test ride an E Model you should feel the difference straight away , The E has a bigger carby and different gearing in the gear box . The two bikes are very simalar but actually have very little the same as each other . The E model will go a fair bit quicker than the SM . There are wheels with hubs to suit the speedo drive , and second hand SM wheels come up for sale every now and then on ebay , they bolt straight on but will need an SM speedo drive to suit the 17 inch wheel .Just look for the usuall things with second hand bikes , or take it to a shop to get checked out if your not confident. Not much goes wrong with the DRZ , good luck . cheers ..

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3427

• TwoFeels
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the replies! I'll google a generic used motorcycle inspection checklist or something.

I test road a DRZ400E on the weekend. It was pretty much standard apart from removed baffle and snorkel + tune. Felt like it had more torque than my mate's jetted SM.

Wayno, you've got me sold on it mate.

The bike I'm going to look at is on Gumtree for $5999. It's a 2010 with 3,500 or so kms and the owner claims it has never seen dirt. Currently has dual purpose tires on it.

I think Peter Stevens Adelaide is asking about $7.5k for the E with 3 months rego but need to confirm.

If the 2010 is good I would try and get it for say $5k if the bloke will come down that far. Otherwise I will spend the extra $ for a new one. The piece of mind would be worth it alone.

Only trouble is that I have zero dirt gear. Need to get myself some MX boots and maybe a few bits of Armour.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3428

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
I would be wary of odometer readings on a DRZ. It takes only minutes to drop the cable off to keep kms down for resale.

But as you are not new to bikes you will be able to see the signs.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3429

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I agree with you bala some people take the speedo cable of , if the bike has never seen the dirt the side casings on the motor wont have a mark on them , its always the dirt bike boots that take the paint of . I paid $ 5200 for my 2007 two years ago it had around 500kml on it but the speedo cable was off , i think his son was joy riding threw the day ?? . The bike your looking at should be very clean 3500 isnt a lot of ks . Mine has just gone over 20,000 ks and the motor has never seen a spanner and is going really well . good luck .

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3430

• Greendog
  • Fresh Boarder
TwoFeels wrote:
I think Peter Stevens Adelaide is asking about $7.5k for the E with 3 months rego but need to confirm.

That is about right with the Suzuki specials at the moment. I just bought my new E model three weeks ago for $7990 ride away with 6 months rego in WA. Another dealer in Perth quoted me a thousand more.

If you go new, make sure you ask the dealer to de-restrict it. They are severely choked up out of the box for ADR compliance.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3433

• TwoFeels
  • Fresh Boarder
I believe they were around $7k ride away on special in December. Absolute bargain!

Yeah the saleswoman told me they 'de-restrict' them for you.

My friend just got his L plates and is also keen on the E. We were thinking of heading in to Peter Stevens Adelaide together and saying we want two DRZ400E what can you do???

You'd have to think they could cut a deal on two bikes, even if it was a few hundred $ worth of gear.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3434

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
The derestrict they are talking about is probably taking out the exhaust baffle, about 2 minutes work, and then much loader.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3447

• Greendog
  • Fresh Boarder
Bala wrote:
The derestrict they are talking about is probably taking out the exhaust baffle, about 2 minutes work, and then much loader.

The dealer did mine, so I'm only going on what they told me which was four mods. There is a restrictor in the intake manifold that needs to be cut out and a throttle stop that needs to be removed. There was another one that I can't remember and they also pulled out the snorkel from the airbox.

I rode another E model stock as a rock unmodified & the difference was significant.

I have left the baffle in my exhaust for now. Not much to be gained by pulling it out from what i've been told & i'm a bit concerned with it being too loud.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3448

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
I will need to look at mine for those other Restrictors, I did not think AUS models had them but I had not researched well.

With the baffle removed they are loud and I dont like the sound. I made a straight though baffle for mine that is quieter and gives a nicer note ( in my opinion).

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3458

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3459

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
For any one who wants to open up the exhaust a bit with out the noise (standard pipe) just drill out four of the holes in the baffle to six mm , you dont loose much power if any , its quick and easy , and gives it a better note . I found it to be a happy medium .

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3494

• Blacky Z
  • Junior Boarder
I bought my DRZ400E new ib September and paid $7990 with 6 mnths rego in QLD. What you need to remember is by buying a new DRZ you get 12 months warranty and the amount of rego is most likely more than a used one. I would not pay more than $5500 for any used one when a new one is only $2500 more or maybe less. To derestrict mine I pulled the Baffle out and aroud the front is a series of small holes I just drilled all of them bigger and the bike is much quicker. As for pulling the snorkel out I tried that and it made no difference. I do run a K&N Filter and that doesn't make a lot of difference either, Their is no restrictors in the Australian Model.

Re: Looking into buying myself a DRZ400E 5 years, 2 months ago #3495

• Bala
  • Expert Boarder
Their is no restrictors in the Australian Model.

I pulled the carb back on mine and found no Restrictors.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds