Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Exhausts
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Exhausts

Re: Exhausts 7 years ago #2103

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I get your points about suspension and tyres. The tyres are an easy part, but suspension can be an expensive excersize. I guess I find the stock set up of the DRZ pretty good for what I do, which is mostly single trail. If anything the front end is a little soft in the mid stroke and slow on the rebound.

The main reason for going to an FMF system, was for a bit of bling or love for the bike, and I have always been worried about the header getting crushed. I recon the stock pipe takes away from the look of the bike too. The FMF header is stronger (being stainless) and adds a bit of grunt (so I have heard). I am hoping it gives it a better exhaust note, as I am not to fussed on the noise the stock system makes.

Losing weight in the case of the DRZ is always a good thing, and seeing as I am putting a rack on it and a few other odds and sods I should end up about the same or a little lighter.

Thats what I love about the DRZ though, most differ due to how we accessorise them.

Ride safe

Goodie

Re: Exhausts 7 years ago #2116

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
T Easatwood asked what the noise level of a standard DRZ was.

Roger Pitt (a DSE employee) ( dept. sustainability and environment; or dept.smoke and embers) wrote to TBAM magazine last year. He wroted that standard trail bike exhausts can be seriously annoying ( WHO standards) of 55 Db at 500 m and when you use an aftermarket pipe the distance doubles. (seriously annoying at 1 km)Roger mentioned that noise levels are on the website www.dse.vic.gov.au/trailbikes .

Have a look. My 2 c worth is that if you are near other people don't open the throttle but wait for 5 minutes or so until you are a km. away. then go for it!

Re: Exhausts 7 years ago #2117

cheers helps a lot :)

Re: Exhausts 6 years, 2 months ago #2984

Hellow any body??

New member & new owner to a second hand 400e.
Which I bought yesterday.

On the bike is a Barrett slip on exhaust which is great, but it has the
Stock header still on.

I'm curious as to wether its worth putting a header on or not??
And if so would I need to go a Barrett head or if the dimensions work
could I go a FMF powerbom??

Any ideas??

Cheers
Any thing in happening causes something else to happen, happens...Eat and buy!

Honda CBR250RR
Suzuki DRZ400e

Re: Exhausts 6 years, 2 months ago #2987

• Roge
  • Expert Boarder
  • What to ride today?
If you go to the home pages / modifications / 1 - 3.5 on the LH side there is a selection called resources which contains a number of article on modifying a 400e it recons the stock header is good. A very useful read on the benifits of alsorts of Mods.
If there is a 50/50 chance of gettingb the right answer how come there is a 90% chance of getting it wrong

Re: Exhausts 6 years, 2 months ago #2991

• jason_obrien
  • Fresh Boarder
  • wanna ride more
i have put on a fmf with the 94db silencer with the stock header pipe and have to say there was no differance at all...was only a little quieter sitting over 100klm hr .....

Re: Exhausts 6 years, 2 months ago #2994

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I rode around with the FMF Q4 pipe and standard header for about 2-3 months , then bought the FMF power bomb header and couldnt tell any difference in power at all . If ever i dented or bent it i wouldnt replacce it , i would put the standard one back on . Save your money for some thing more worth while ..

Re: Exhausts 6 years, 2 months ago #2995

Thanks all for the feed back. sounds like im going to stick with the stock header then.

I have decided though i am going to paint the stock heder and slip on pipe (not the exhaust) with a high temperature paint for rust protection, then wrap with a lava rock fiber to
1 reduce the heat on my leg and
2nd keep the exhaust gas temp up for better flow rates.
Any thing in happening causes something else to happen, happens...Eat and buy!

Honda CBR250RR
Suzuki DRZ400e

Re: Exhausts 5 years ago #3885

Just installed my FMF Powercore 4 mid pipe! I think it looks great. Anyone else agree!?
I didnt get the fmf header cos I have heard its not really necessary for how much you spend on it.
Not shown in the photo but I also swapped my stock battery for a shorai one. And holy crap! Its crazy how much smaller it is but the weight difference is huge!!! The new battery weighs 663grams where as the stock one (taking a estimated guess) would have to weigh between 2.5 and 3.5 kg i would think. Anyway I'm loving the deep and smooth note that this pipe offers and so far am very happy with it and it lives up to expectations!
Attachments:

Re: Exhausts 5 years ago #3886

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep looks good , there are aftermarket exhuast guards about fairly cheap , there a good idea . Every time i look at the hole in my pants it reminds me lol ..

Re: Exhausts 5 years ago #3887

Haha yea i bet it does but the fmf pipe doesnt have the mount for it? or can you get guards that only require the single mount off of the stock header?

Re: Exhausts 5 years ago #3888

I just put the stock exhaust guard back on with my fmf pipe.

All you do is get a hose clamp to go around the header pipe, then bend a little strip of metal into a C shape. One side of the C goes under the hose clamp, the other side you drill a hole in so you can put the stock exhaust bolt into it.

You can just see the hose clamp here;

Re: Exhausts 4 years, 11 months ago #3915

• midrz
  • Senior Boarder
Hi guys, after much consideration I've just installed a new pipe to my 400e, As with most stuff with the DRZ it's great to have so many choices, but in the end I fitted a Yoshimura RS-3 full system. From the outset I must say that I'm pleased with the quality of this product & apart from the cylinder head to header joint everything was supplied in the kit. It did require a little bit of adjusting to find the best clearance of the pipe to the radiators (a tight fit) but it was worth the effort for once bolted up it fitted perfectly. I'd read some posts previously saying that guys have had issues with the slip joint at the header/intermediate pipe but not a problem with mine, just coated with anti seize & slipped together. Some of the pipes I've seen advertised online show the pipe guard brackets welded in position & others don't, mine didn't I was a little put off by this but after sitting on the bike I recon it will be OK until I can fabricate something (no more riding in shorts for me) I didn't measure it accurately but the bore of the Yoshi header is about 3mm or 1/8". Hows it go? Only did a few restrained laps around the block & not looking to piss anyone off but not much louder than the stock pipe a deeper note & noted improvement in throttle response at the lower rev range the slight hesitation when snapping on the throttle is gone, I suspect that the improvements will be more evident once I get to let the thing really rip. Anyway that's how I've spent the last few hours, look forward to hearing your comments.
YoshiRS-3kitassupplied.JPG

StockDRZ400EvsYoshiaprox4mmbiggerinthenewpipe.JPG

Finisheditem.JPG

Re: Exhausts 4 years, 11 months ago #3917

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep does look good , its always fun putting on some bling ..

Re: Exhausts 4 years, 11 months ago #3975

Excellent choice, got the RS3 on mine.

Have to agree noise wise , with the cork in it is not too loud , but a bit loud with the cork out.

Some tips

I went down to a 160 main jet , EMN needle and set the fuel screw 2.5 turns. Smoother power and dyno showed A/F ratio pretty much spot on.

The dyno showed about 1 extra hp , strangely at the top end (I thought the RS3 was more about bottom end?) compared to the stock pipe with the restictor removed.

The dyno also showed almost no power difference with the cork in or out! (So I am riding with the cork in to avoid attention from the cops.) According to the dyno guy this suggests the pipe is allowing maximum flow mainly due to the big header and that there is flow capcity to spare for when I add my big bore next year.

Hope this is useful
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds