Username Password: Remember me

DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down

DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1783

• connor25
  • Junior Boarder
I just passed test and been out on my DRZ400E, it has been garaged for 2 months as bought before I got test...

Anyhow, first off it wouldn't start so charged battery, I then had to leave the choke in for ages to stop it stalling (about 10 mins)

I rode it around for about 20 mins, but had to have choke on for about 10 mins of the journey, high rev's caused it to splutter still and when I pulled up at junctions it completely stalled each time...

I got it to a friends house about 4 miles away, and it seemed ok...

Came out after a cuppa and it wouldn't start, just kept turning, spluttering and whining...

Now it is stuck at mates house, and not sure what I can do?

Ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1784

• drztroy
  • Gold Boarder
ive worked in the automotive industry for about 20 years ,
from what i have read and been told these days
91 octane fuel only has a life of 3 - 5 week these days before it starts to break down and loose its octane rating ,, im not saying that is your problem
but might be a good place to sart if your bike has been in storagee,,
check the plug as well

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1785

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
yep - I was thinking shit fuel

Maybe a flush and spark change - a bit of 'start ya bastard' in the carbie??
Dan
09 Doctor

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1786

• Roy
  • Senior Boarder
Mine was doing a similar thing. Massive flat spot when cold and stalling or backfiring. The fuel was 6 months old but 98 octane.

I cleaned out the tank, took the tap off it and flushed it out with normal fuel, put it back together and all is sweet.

Had one bloke tell me to clean it with diesel and rice believe it or not. He said the kero content in the diesel was good for getting out any excess water that's separated from the fuel and the rice would provide a bit of grit to clean any dirt but to make sure I got all the rice out. Wasn't game to try that one.

A mate of mine recommends to always run the carby out of fuel when turning it off if you're going to leave it sit for more than a week. Just turn the tap off and let it idle till it dies. This makes sure there's no old fuel in the carby when it comes to re-starting it later.

Also, DRZ's are notorious for battery drainage. A trickle charger is money well spent if letting it sit for a while as well.

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1787

• connor25
  • Junior Boarder
Many thanks for your replies...

Ok, this is what I will do...

Drain the rest of tank, and carb (with screw underneath) and refill with new unleaded 95 octane...

Check spark plug is clean etc (not sure how to get to this, but will check)

It could also be that res tank was needed to switch over? I could see fuel in bottom of tank but not too much, is it the same tank for res and full, but just uses a different level to switch?

It is at a friends house right now, so will say how it goes laters!

ps. would a 5 Litre can of unleaded be enough to fill past res into full tank, or should i leave on res?

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1788

• connor25
  • Junior Boarder
Well tried all the above, and didn't work :(

Speaking to another mate he reckons probably the carb jets could have a blockage, this sounds a maybe as it would only fire up with choke out before, and even when riding I had to leave the choke out a bit.

Will let you know how it goes!

I haven't done the spark plug, but doesn't seem to be that as it will turn over, but just not fire and stay idle?

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1789

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
connor25 wrote:
I just passed test and been out on my DRZ400E, it has been garaged for 2 months as bought before I got test...

Anyhow, first off it wouldn't start so charged battery, I then had to leave the choke in for ages to stop it stalling (about 10 mins)

I rode it around for about 20 mins, but had to have choke on for about 10 mins of the journey, high rev's caused it to splutter still and when I pulled up at junctions it completely stalled each time...

I got it to a friends house about 4 miles away, and it seemed ok...

Came out after a cuppa and it wouldn't start, just kept turning, spluttering and whining...

Now it is stuck at mates house, and not sure what I can do?

Ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

I had a similar issue occur to me during a ride, misfire, stalling and being a complete WR I mean pig to start. What had happened, is the vacuum line going from the coast enricher to the manifold (rubber boot between the carb and head) had come off. Hard to see at first. Plugged it back on away it went.

Also check these lines for cracking, can cause the same issues.

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1790

• connor25
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, mate came round, it was firing up when we poured fuel in spark plug hole...

Changed plug anyways, and then took out carb, stripped it part down, blasted with carb cleaner, put back together and it now starts...

Just runs a little rich though, and stalls on idle, but at least runs now....

Wasn't sure of mixture screw turns on carb so did 1.5 turns? also does anyone know of a tool you can get to turn this without having to take the carb back out, or add an aftermarket one as too much hassle!

Re:DRZ Misfiring then Stalling... then broken down 7 years, 6 months ago #1791

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
Check this out - should solve your mixture adjustment issue:

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fuel-Screw-Suzuki-DRZ400E-Kawasaki-KLX400-KEIHIN-FCR-/380293628270?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588b44416e

must admit, I want one of these too one day
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds