Stroud
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stroud

Stroud 8 years, 1 month ago #771

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
Saturday 09 October 2010

Headed out to Stroud with a few mates on Saturday morning trying to beat the threatening weather.

Only a few minutes in, the ride plan had to be re-jigged due to a mates KTM520 rear brake line being torn from the callipar. My immediate thought is that so much emphasis has been made on making the KTM light, they did away with the rear callipar guard, which would have probably saved him in this case.

Stroud is relatively new to us, and we need to spend some more time there to find some more trails. It has a good mix of firetrails, single trail and some gnarly hills.

There are some areas with a smooth clay surface, and I struggled to keep the DRZ upright due to the front end tending to wash away. I find the Michelin AC 10 a good all-rounder as it is DOT approved, but I find it a handful in the clay, and not that good in mud either. The Stoneking is a noted improvement over the Dunlop I previously had, being superior in rocky and muddy conditions - it displaces mud very well and has very strong sidewalls so you can run low air pressure of 8-9PSI no dramas (I run around 11 though).

Overall we had about 3 hours in ths saddle before the rain called a premature end to the day. Fogging was an issue for a mate with glasses but my main issue was the lack of visability due to having goggles with no tearoffs. I have Smith Roll-offs but find that in the light rain it gets moisture between the lens and the film and the roll off function doesn't work so back to tear-offs soon I hope.

Regardless, I had fun....and stayed upright for once.

Till next time. Ride Safe

Re:Stroud 8 years, 1 month ago #773

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
sounds great....where is stroud

Re:Stroud 8 years, 1 month ago #783

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
Stoud is about 1/2 hour north of Raymond Terrace (via Newcastle NSW) on the Buckets Road (the Road from the Pacific Highway to Gloucester)

Re:Stroud 8 years, 1 month ago #886

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
23 October 2010

Ventured out to Stroud again on Saturday. The riding was great, there was a bit of rain the night before which helped settle the dust but not too much to turn it into a bog hole.

There are some really good single trails seperated by some nice fireroads. There is a bit of everything at Stroud and because we haven't ridden it heaps, there is always something new.

The bike was running sweet. I sorted out the power issue I was having by believe it or not - installing the airbox boot and resetting the mixture screw. I still think I have jetting issues which I think is why it doesn't like having the snorkel out, but I have it running smooth and not bogging which is satisfying after the last trip out.

Drama's did come. I had a high side when exiting a creek - got crossed up on a slimey rock face and over I went pushing the gear lever into the case. The case savers work! I cracked the magneto case, but I have no doubt that if I didn't have the case saver I would have punched a hole straight through the case. Te bike did fall on rocks very hard though to do this.

Anyways, we had some metal putty on hand and did a temp repair that got me back to the car. I have since ripped off the cover and JB welded the crack. I was suprised the case didn't have a hole in it but she is all good to go again.

I do wish someone would make billet replacement cases for them though.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds