Username Password: Remember me

First Trail Ride on the big girl
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Trail Ride on the big girl

First Trail Ride on the big girl 8 years ago #228

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Ok, so I am in love. The DRZ is not perfect, but it is close enough for me.

It has been over 12 months since I careered into a tree on my 01 KDX200 and tore all the ligaments out of my right knee, so armed with my electric start steed I headed out to Nerong a few weeks ago with a couple of my good riding buddies.

Nerong is a State Forest just North of the Tea Gardens turn off. It has some great single trail riding, and if you are up for it, you can ride through to Stroud - have a counter lunch, and ride back.

Nerong was as slippery as an eel covered in vasoline and I had the match fitness of David Boon...if he were to play tomorrow.

What I loved about the DRZ was how lazy I could be, and I was extreemly greatful as I had arm pump after 2 minutes. The electric button is magic, and it fires up quicker than any of the new gen 4 bangers I have ever rode with. It is quite stable, and the steering is great. It is very sure footed, as slippery as it was at Nerong, I knew that I was faring much better than I would of on the old KDX

The only flaw I could find with the DRZ was the height. I am 172cm (about 5'7") and I will be sourcing a 2" loweing link soon. I don't want to cut the seat, as I love the way I can climb all over it which I couldn't do with the KDX. Yeah ok, it is a touch lardy, but there is quite a bit that can be done to shed a few kegs.

The bike has got enough power for me - I find it is Kellogs (just right - sorry bad joke).

Re:First Trail Ride on the big girl 8 years ago #265

5'7!!!! harden up! :kiss: this make you taller than Rahier!
He was euro champion mx rider and rode Dakar for Suzuki many times on these.
Big6.jpg

Re:First Trail Ride on the big girl 8 years ago #272

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Er, but I am not even close to being a world enduro champion....so I think I'll get the link.

Seriously though, the KDX was only 15mm shorter (and had a softer seat). I felt heaps closer to the ground on it and more in control because of it.

Re:First Trail Ride on the big girl 8 years ago #274

Mate
Im 5'7 and I just cut my seat and lowered the front forks through the tree's 10mm
And it is perfect height for me the more you ride a tall bike the more confident you get
You will be making a big compromise putting in a lowering link trust me mine lasted 3 hours then relisted it back on ebay

Good luck

Re:First Trail Ride on the big girl 8 years ago #275

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah it's interesting you say that - I have spoke to a few guys who hated the lowering link (though can't remember why) I would imagine your linkage would sit allot lower, and it may change your suspension geometry a bit. I would also imagine that the sitting to peg relationship would change also, something I feel at home with on the DRZ.

I am not keen on cutting ths seat foam, as what I really like is the fact I can climb so far up on the tank.

The one thing I noticed was the spring collars are wound down a fair way, but I thought if I wound these up it may allow the bike to sit lower when I sit on it. I am worried how this will affect the suspension though, cause it feels pretty damn good to me at the moment.

The forks have already been lowered through the tripples. The steering is sharp, but on the road it is a bit unstable, to I was going to bring them back to where I figure is standard.

Like you said though, the more I ride it the more I will get used to it, and to an extent I am getting more used to it each time I ride it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds