Username Password: Remember me

Love the snow, NOT!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Love the snow, NOT!

Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1862

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
I got up this morning and had a day to myself. Looked out and the sun was shineing so decided a ride was in order. Went to load my bike on the trailer to find my trailer overflowing with the old paling fence I pulled down and haven’t taken to the tip yet, bugger. Not in the mood to do a tip run before a ride I decided to just ride the DRZ the 60km up the highway to Clarence. Looks like a nice day for it anyway.

I jumped on the highway and headed up the Mt Victoria, across to Bell, then to Clarence. I went into at the Zig Zag and headed for a few familiar single tracks. I followed a powerline trail I’d been on before but never been to the end. It went up and down some valleys till I come to a massive rocky downhill. I wasn’t sure where this track would come out but there was no going back. There no way I would have got the DRZ back up that hill.

The trail finally came out just on the Great Western Highway, just West of Lithgow. I turn left onto the highway and made my way to Lidsdale for fuel. Just out of Lidsdale I headed bush again and followed the Beecroft track up into the mountains. I linked the Beecroft track with the Angus Place trail for a down hill run back to the Wolgan Road.

A couple km’s up the Wolgan Rd I turned into the Blackfellows Hands Trail where I planned on jumping onto some single trails. As I was riding and just enjoying being out on my bike I didn’t notice the clouds rolling in. I got into the singles and was just getting into a rhythm when I saw the first flacks of snow drift down in front of me. Now this wouldn’t normally worry me as riding in a bit of snow can be fun but I had a 60+ kilometre road ride in front of me to get home and I was not fully geared up for it. I was smart enough to throw my road gloves in my backpack at least.

I got off the single, back on the fire trail hightailed it for the road only stopping to change gloves. The snow was really coming down now and at speed my goggles were icing over. I had to stop a number of times to scrap the ice off for vision.

The ride down the highway home was f*#king cold all the way I was kicking myself for not emptying the trailer and driving up. If I had trailer the bike up I would have stayed and played in the snow a bit longer.
I got home frozen but safe. I can say I have never enjoyed a hot shower so much in my life.

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1863

• merretta
  • Administrator
Thanks for the great ride report Scotty. Since moving to Adelaide I have still not had a chance to take the DRZ out :( . Reading your report reminded me of the good old snowy days out the back of Canberra.

I hope to try and organise a ride in Adelaide soon :) .
2015 DR-Z400E, Powernow Intake, Edge LED Tail Light. Pro Taper Bars, Bark Busters, Suzuki Bash Plate, B&B case saver

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1864

• Talbs
  • Senior Boarder
Good stuff !! Did the Ballards jacket do the job?
Up for the ride in Adelaide when keen.

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1865

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Talbs wrote:
Good stuff !! Did the Ballards jacket do the job?
Up for the ride in Adelaide when keen.

Talbs, the Ballards jacket is a pile of shit. They are a good design for a light weight jacket but poorly made, no doubt in China or somewhere like that. The zippers are crap and the stitching is coming apart in places. It at least kept the ice of my chest. The sleeves are zip off and I usually only use the vest as the zips on the sleeves rip open by them selves when riding and you end up with the sleeve sliding down your arm. I would not recommend the jacket to anyone. My last jacket was a Dririder and thats what my next will be.

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1868

• Talbs
  • Senior Boarder
LOL, no worries it makes me feal better about buying the dri rider ralley cross pro 2 . Crossed the simpson last year and done some wet cold rides and it has been great. I nearly bought the ballards as the reason i asked about it.
Thx
Talbs

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1869

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Well good on you Scotty for getting out there in this weather , nice pictures , i have a Dririder and yeah there good (aspen) it gets a work out and i just hose it down every now and then .. But ??? i have never gotten out in that sort of weather with it .. I do have grip warmers , wouldnt be with out them now , only $50 and easy to to put on .. cheers ..

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1870

• Andrew
  • Administrator
I can vouch for Wayno's grip warmers they felt fantastic up at Briagolong we didn't have snow but it was dam cold and wet on that first day of riding :blink:

Re:Love the snow, NOT! 7 years ago #1871

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi andrew , good to see you back on here , hows your new job and SA going . Seems like a long cold winter already , i have only been going on small rides , thats a good effort from scotty.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds