You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Pro Taper Bars
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pro Taper Bars

Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #954

• mickxr6
  • Senior Boarder
Have to admit i wasn't going to bother changing the bars on the DRz but after feeling the Tapers on a WR on the weekend(Reed Bend i believe) i can say that i have re-considered!SO a few questions now to anyone who can help...
Where in the USA do you import your Tapers from? Websites?
And what did you guys do about the 2 holes which are in the stock bars? Did you just drill the same size holes in the new bars or modify the Throttle side and the light switch side?
Can you order the Bars,Bar Pad,universal clamps and grips all in a complete package?
Thanx in advance....
Mick

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #955

I just run the cheaper 7/8" pro taper bars. Bars come with cross brace and bar pad. I paid $89. Since they are 7/8" they don't need any adaptors. I bought mine from Pro Accessories in Brisbane.

I just broke the tabs off the switches that went into the holes in the stock bars. They don't move anyway. Don't bother trying to drill new holes, because they will end up in the wrong spot if you add handlebar accessories of decided you want to angle the bars further forward or back.

The biggest problem with changing grips is getting the old one off the throttle tube. The rubber is actually vulcanised onto the plastic throttle tube with some sort of sub-atomic bonding process. I had to sand and wire brush wheel the old hand grip off! :blink:

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #957

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yep got to agree , but bar risers are great , they make a big difference ..

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #962

I went for the KX HI bend bars, which I think is one of the highest bend bars. So far it seems pretty good like that without the risers. When standing perfectly straight I have to partly open my fist / fingers to hold the bars, or to hold the bars properly I need to be leaning forward slightly or have my knees bent slightly, which I normally do.

Re: Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #1031

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
I have Taper - Carmichael bend fat bars...I have gone through the stock ones and a set of tag x5's now and these I like. The hi bend is great for me being over 6' and then with the fat bar adaptors I don't use risers.

I filed down the plastic tabs on all the controls/switches which now means they move around every now and then - but not enough to annoy me yet (I have been told to put some tape under and it will stop moving.

I got mine from Ballards - but on other forums importing them from Rockymountain ATV in the US is extremely poplular and probably cheaper.

The bar and pad come together, you need to get grips and adaptors or risers seperate - but sometimes there are specials on with grips inc.

I think Ballards have tapers on special with grips on there website now - dunno what bend or size.
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 10 months ago #1036

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
I never rode my DRZ with standard bars. Had the bike shop throw in and fit Jimmy Button bend Rentals before I picked it up. Just sitting on the bike in the shop I could feel the bars where to low and had an awkward bend. They sweep back along way. The Button bend is much higher and straighter.

Re: Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1093

Hi just picked up a 2010 DRZ400E and fitted some fat bars and risers, I noticed the throttle sticks on right full lock what can be done ? :unsure:

Re: Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1094

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
It's odd, but it sounds like the throttle cable routing is wrong

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1095

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah the throttle cable on the DRZ are quite short and can cause problems when bars are raised. All I needed to do with mine was reposition the throttle. Standard the throttle cables exit at the top and run across the top of the brake resivour. I turned my throttle so the cables exit under the bars. This gave me the extra length needed.

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1096

• mickxr6
  • Senior Boarder
scotty wrote:
Yeah the throttle cable on the DRZ are quite short and can cause problems when bars are raised. All I needed to do with mine was reposition the throttle. Standard the throttle cables exit at the top and run across the top of the brake resivour. I turned my throttle so the cables exit under the bars. This gave me the extra length needed.

This is why i joined this forum! The guys know their shit ;)

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1097

Thank all mannaged to get it to work, not 100% but it snaps back quick enought in full lock position :cheer:

By the way I drilled new holes for the switches it was easy .

so now.......on to the tail light :evil:

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1107

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
scotty wrote:

+ 1
Dan
09 Doctor

Re:Pro Taper Bars 7 years, 9 months ago #1115

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
I picked up my adaptors this arvo so will put this info to good use when i get around to putting them on.

Thanks guys. :cheer:
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds