You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rear Shock
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear Shock

Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #900

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
just curious.....what brand of shock and or spring comes stock on a 2005 DRZ 400E....

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #905

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
The shock is a Showa unit and is pretty good when re-valved and tuned to suit the rider. It has high an low speed compression as well as rebound damping adjustment.

As for the spring it is the cheapest piece of shit Suzuki could get there hands on. The standard spring sags badly and in some cases has even broken. Throw the spring in the bin and fit something that works.

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #918

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
so an eibach spring isnt a standard spring.....i gather....and the shock would be a showa....also since im on the subject scotty you seem to know what your talking about ......the screw adjuster on the top of front forks and the side of the rear shock how do they work ......and what would be the best setting for a heavy guy.....softer or harder suspension for dirt that is ....lol sorry for 20 questions

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #919

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Daz suspension tuning is a black art and I am by no means an expert in this area, in fact im lucky to live just 5 mins from Teknik who a one of the best suspension tuners in the country. I have had my forks and shock re-valved and sprung by them. The best money you will ever spend on a DRZ.

No an Eibach spring no standard Suzuki although a very good brand as long as it’s the right rate for your weight.

The adjuster on top of the forks in the middle is the rebound, this one affects how fast or slow the fork rebounds after being compressed. The other screw next to that is for releasing built up air pressure in the forks.

If ya get on ya knees and look at the bottom of the forks you will see another screw (ya may have to dig out the dirt to find it), this is the compression damping, this one affects as suggested how fast or slow the fork compresses or how stiff the fork feels.

As for the rear the screw on the side of the rear shock up the top under the side plate, this is the shock compression adjuster. If you look closely you will see it has a screw in the middle (low speed compression) and a nut on the outside, by turning this nut it adjusts high speed compression, I don’t touch this one as it’s above my head how it works.

Again if you get on ya knees and look at the bottom of the shock down near where it bolts to the linkage you will find yet another adjuster screw. This is the rear shock rebound.

It’s a case of playing with settings to suit your weight and riding style but before you change any settings record the current settings so you can always go back to them. I do this by turning the adjuster screw fully clockwise and counting the clicks as it turns. If it goes in 8 clicks then to set it back to what it is now you just need to wind it in fully then back it out 8 clicks.

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #929

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
thanks man....it does sound like black art, where is teknik located. my bike has had the suspension re-done for 90-100kg but im finding im losing a bit of traction on front wheel and i want to take it somewhere or find out how to minimise this....it might be tyres that need changing or steering dampner.....i know its not a race bike but its still scarey when in a burn and front wheel tries to slide out.....anyway thanks for your help scotty

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #930

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
Teknik are a Harford St Jamison Town. www.teknikracing.com
My DRZ is the second bike I have had done by these guys and both have been awesome.

Sound like your front end issue is either tyre related or just need a bit of basic setup. Make sure ride height is set correctly. If the bike is sitting wrong at the rear it will affect the way the front turns in.

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #937

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
thanks man .....so your from out this way as well.....we should hook up one day go for a ride.....show me how you get across jacksons lane ....lol

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 11 months ago #979

• shanhard
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 9 months ago #1235

• Paddo
  • Junior Boarder
Does anyone know the size of the "C"spanner that is needed for the nuts holding the spring down on the rear shock?
I can see carnage if I use my pin punch and a gimpy :side: And Im up at work so I want to try and organise one before I get home in aweeks time.

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 9 months ago #1237

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
daz, it sounds as if your front wheel is washing out ( understeer?)
Things that you should check are
1) dropping the fork leg through the triple clamp a bit so that the front fork sticks up throught the top of th eupper clamp. Do this in increments of a few mm at a time and test how the bike turns.
2) you might have too much sag in the back shock so that the bike sits low with your weight on it like a chopper. it will resist turning. If you think it could be this, hange it a few mm at a time and test ride. You must be fully dressed in riding gear and tool pack etc when you measure the sag

Don't change both ends at once though.

3) too much compression on the front forks so that the fork won't fall into the mid range of travel under braking/ cornering on a berm. Try the clickers to see if it makes a difference. ( 4-5 clicks then try it again) if it does not then perahps you need a revalve/ expert help.
4) front tyre is not at correct pressure ( too flat/ too hard) about 14 psi is ideal
5) a shit front tyre like the standard one won't grip on anything other than bitumen.
6) are you moving your weight forward when cornering? That is why the seat extends up the tank for "family jewels" comfort on turning. see stephen galls method of body movement to get maximum bite on the front end in turns.
Just try one thing at a time and eliminate what seems OK and then on to the next. Good luck.

Re:Rear Shock 7 years, 9 months ago #1239

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
good reply thanks mate.....i might try better tyres i bought the cheapy $100 tyres from mca and a mate just bought the new husky and it has pirelli tyres and it looks like they are giving him heaps of grip
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds