You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

DRZ Aftermarket Tailight
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: DRZ Aftermarket Tailight

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #558

Yeah, I like that it looks almost factory. That is the look I wanted. I want it to look like the DRZ Suzuki should have made :) Yes the guard is sitting up a little, I just shoved the tail between the fender and the subframe to take the photos.

It looks like it is sealed ok, but haven't tried to pull it apart yet. The reason I went with Acerbis is in the hope it would be good quality and waterproofed properly.

I have popped the lenses off the indicators and they aren't sealed at all. I am going to waterproof them, just haven't decided on the method. My car taillight LED's have the whole circuit board and LEDs embedded in a clear resin of some sort. I want to do something similar, maybe araldite or fiberglass resin would do the trick. I could use silicone but most silicones have a salt base which corrodes metals (and the circuit board).

All 4 indicators were AU$24.97 delivered, from ebay.

The tail was AU$67 delivered from ebay. Seller was DEMONMX in the UK.
Cheapest price I found other than ebay was US$59.46 plus delivery http://www.staryamaha.com/eshopprod_cat_5364-13708_product_761909.LED_CE_Taillight.htm

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #561

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Pneumatic.. ill look it up on e-bay ...I didnt realise the lense on my blinkers could come of :( .. What if you carefully put the silicone around the lense itself ???? The dirt and water sit in the bottom of mine after i wash the bike .. Ill get on to that as soon as ... How much do you plan on trimming of the tail light (if any) to fit it in between the sub frame and guard ..And if you did do you think it will fit a bit better .... Your right about the rear guard .. it looks as if it was made for it .... cheers

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #562

I probably won't trim anything, it's sitting almost perfect. It didn't lift the guard much at all. The tail light isn't at the top of the tail, it is designed to be down a little. Here is a couple of pics from other angles

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #563

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
No worries thanks for that .. ita a shame we have to put a rego plate on at all

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #565

I just pulled the tail light apart. It has a rubber grommet on the wiring, but that is it. The lens part has no o-ring or gasket to seal it. The circuit board is exposed with no protective epoxy or anything. So looks like it will be getting water proofed along with the indicators.

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #578

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
nice set up all round....
Whats your pipe there?? Or have you done a thread on that you can point me to...

I ended up going with a supercheap auto set up, but kept a LED light above it as well. The supercheap light was a bit dull as it has a clear shell with the LED coloured inside. So I kept my red LED mounted above it and have a duel system... I'll get some picks tonight and put up.

IMGP0458.jpg

IMGP0462.jpg

Its a bit of a practical set up not so much for cosmetics...but it looks good when cleaned and following it..Got my indicators put right up near the seat now, like the new crf's. The pipes next to go.
I was also told you need to have some sort of reflector on there - so I just got some reflector tape - and then my kids stuck it all over the bike. :lol:
Dan
09 Doctor

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #623

• jimmy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2000 DRZ400e
Anyone have any idea what light setup is legal in the ACT? Would like to go with the LED brake-light and keep the standard indicators but would prefer not to put money into something into something that i will get defected for.

Cheers
James.

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #624

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Look at TC's post on page 1. The main issue is the reflector on the rear and you are also supposed to have a seperate white light to illuminate the number plate. I live on the edge and don't give a shit about either.

You could always take a hacksaw to the original.

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #625

You need a vertical rear reflector, number plate light, stop / tail light, and indicators. Indicator lenses must be at least 180mm apart. I hung the stock rear reflector under my Acerbis CE tail. I'll get some more info and better pics up soon. And the tail must extend down to a point 45 degrees above the rear axle.

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #626

• jimmy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2000 DRZ400e
Cheers,
I like your setup pneumatic I recon ill get one of those

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #629

Here's a close-up of the tail

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #631

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I cant believe that the cops around where you guys live ?? are so strict on all this tail light stuff ... I must ride past 3 or 4 cop cars a week here in geelong .. they do look at first because of the yellow (perhaps thinking its a full on dirt bike)... Maybe they need to get out and ?? ah as if thats gunna happen ..As if they dont have better things to do ????

Re:DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 years, 2 months ago #642

• alig73
  • Senior Boarder
I fitted super cheap tail light to my Drz guess all it will take is a smart arse cop to book me, bike is ridden 90% off road, its crazy all the adr stuff it is dangerous, like the side stand switch perfect example was riding a fast section of trail hit a wooped out section engine stops nearly came off, standard tail light extension is so long easy to catch it on something

Re: DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 7 months, 1 week ago #6389

• Wool
  • Junior Boarder
Just bought the DRC Edge 2 tail light kit from ebay for $89 inc postage to WA. Will fit that rhen look into changing the stock bulb idicators out to leds. TST industries do an integrated tail light but i dont think anyone would get away with it for long in AUS.

Re: DRZ Aftermarket Tailight 6 months, 3 weeks ago #6564

• Wool
  • Junior Boarder
I've fitted the DRC edge 2 tail light and just bolted the stock indicators back on for now using the drc flasher brackets the tail light came with. I have the drc 601 indicators in the mail now. Im looking into getting the zeta handguards that have led indicators built in them instead of having the normal set of inducators on the triple clamp. Ive checked out the Australian Design Rules and it should all pass (front indicators have to be min 240mm apart, rear 180mm apart. Front indicators must flash yellow and rear must flash yellow or white) it all complies except my rear fender doesn't hang low enough and there must be a rear reflector displayed vertically. But whatever. Ill get my auto electrician mate to wire all the led indicators up as it will need a few extra bits to convert to led. Also i want all the stock bits to be able to plug straight back in. Heres some photos so far.
20170429_170951.jpg

20170429_170941.jpg
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds