You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Toolkit
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Toolkit

Toolkit 1 year, 3 months ago #5512

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
What are others doing in terms of a toolkit for their DRZs? Mine has the factory stock toolkit and, while it's very well thought out, the quality is poor and some of the tube spanners have opened up and will slip it bolts are too tight.

Having an aftermarket bashplate, bark busters and bar risers means I could potentially have need for 5mm and 6mm allen keys if I stack it away from home and need to get at things. A few sockets are also required to get to some of the bolts if wanting to take the headlight off for whatever reason.

If you've made up you're own toolkit, what tools are in it?

Care to share for the greater good or happy to just browse and move on?

Re: Toolkit 9 months, 2 weeks ago #5717

• Wool
  • Junior Boarder
I took my stock tool kit off for the same reason as its useless. I figure if i am going somewhere and may need tools then ill just bring a bag. If anything broke down i wouldnt know how to fix it or probably would need replacement parts anyway so its sort of pointless in my case. Anyways i took mine off and put some nice cuphead stainless steel bolts into the holes where the bag was mounted to keep it looking neat and will also hold the rear fender down tight

Re: Toolkit 8 months ago #5972

• urastus
I have had to do some reasonable repairs in the bush, so I carry good tools (you don't want to strip stuff when you're remote). I make a toolkit up for each bike. Kneel next to the bike with tools and try every nut and bolt in sight. I use spanners with an open end and a ring on the opposite end. I carry a selection of zip ties - these always get used. I also carry duct tape or cloth tape, usually wrapped around a small bicycle tyre pump. Spare rear tube, patches, glue, fairly light but great levers. A small socket set (up to 13mm) with various screw heads. If I need a screw driver I fit each bit into the head of the screw till I find the best fit - no more stripped heads. Hex keys. Nitrile and cotton gloves (cotton gloves on first). A small tablet container stuffed with wet ones for cleanup. A shifter big enough to undo front and rear axles. Fold up knife/pliers with file, scissors etc (leatherman or the like; these always get used). Brushes for cleaning nuts or bolts before undoing them, or cleaning around the tyre before removing it. Small led torch (uses 1 aa battery and goes forever). Small container (30ml?) of concentrated soapy water for remounting tyre. With tube and it could weigh 2.5kg? Without this setup I would have had major walkouts and retrievals (I don't rely or use vehicles - just me and the bike and only limited by fuel range). Often the repairs I do are still good years later :)

Re: Toolkit 3 months, 3 weeks ago #6903

• CJ
  • Expert Boarder
My rear fender tool bag is starting to fall apart, zip can bust open and there's a hole that stuff is starting to rattle out of.

What do others use as a replacement for the stock toolkit? Just buy something similar and attach to the same place? That's what I'm thinking I'll do. I like that fact it's always there and isn't a separate bit of gear I have to think about taking with me.

I bought a front fender bag a little while ago but have had it fall off twice. First time I saw it go, second time I didn't know I'd lost it and my mate following me didn't come across it either. Got it back through word of mouth but don't trust it anymore!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds