You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Motard Conversion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: Motard Conversion

Motard Conversion 8 years, 6 months ago #53

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you run a motard set up?

I am going to start commuting to work on mine so was looking at a motard conversion.

Dahlitz quoted about $2500 for a set of new rims and tyres.

I looked a little further and found a site in Brisbane who offer kits using CBR250 Cast Wheels. Here is the info;

home.exetel.com.au/bkm/cast-wheels-motard-drz/drz400-cast-wheels-cbr250-cheap.htm

Have any of you done this? Do you recommend it?

Cheers for your help,

Glen

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 6 months ago #54

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
I saw a sumo DRZ online yesterday that had CBR wheels on it. The wheels looked rad! I'll see if I can find it... (found it!)

I'd love to be able to swap wheels to a sumo set up whenever I wanted. While I am happy commuting on my E model as it is (completely stock at this stage)... if I had a garage and the $$ I would definately invest in a second set of wheels.

I wouldn't go crazy and do a complete conversion... If I wanted a sumo that bad I'd have bought the SM not the E, but I would have wheels to swap over accordingly.

Here's a complete conversion that looks bitchin...

There are some gnarly looking sumos on Thumpertalk and SM Junkie...

Another link you might find helpful..?

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 6 months ago #56

Thanks for the info Liam.
There are some nice looking bikes getting around.

Like you said it would be ideal to have a set of wheels for road and then a set for off road.
I have 14t-50t gearing at the moment for dirt so it's not the best for commuting (plus my tyres get mauled by the bitumen).

I have ordered the Cast Wheels with new Kings Tyres so when I get them I'll post some pics and let you know how they go (and how easy it is to change them over).

Cheers.

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 6 months ago #57

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
You're welcome mate :)

There really are some sweet looking motards around huh!?

Actually the courtesy bike at the Canberra Motorcycle Centre in Mitchell is a 2010 DRZ400SM with the funky blue rims.

I'm tempted to get a service done there just so I can take the sumo for a ride!

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #229

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I am currently in the process of Motarding my DRZ. I got a cheap set of RGV wheels (off a VJ21 - 18" rear 17" front). I advise strongly to look for CBR rims as there is a great info pack on the exetel website. If not have a look at VJ22 rims (17" front and rear, and front axle dia might be bigger due to change from conventional to USD forks).

If you have any info on fitting RGV rims to a DRZ please email me This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Now to share what I know:

The main issues I have is the front wheel bearing ID is too small (exploring options of lower profile bearings / custom axle or machining the hub). I wanted to use the standard disc off the DRZ, but the disc on the RGV is offset so without a custom spacer and some machining this won't be possible, so more than likely I will keep the floating RGV disc and make an adapter plate for the calliper.

The rear (should) be easier. The rim needs 10mm machined off the sprocket carrier. The RGV disc is 210mm as opposed to the DRZ's 220mm. This should equate to 5mm less pad area that is swept by the disc, so in the interim I will swap pads when swapping rims. I will also dress the RGV disc, as it is notably wider than the DRZ disc. The bearing on the sprocket carrier side will need to be recessed so I can use the DRZ spacer (which also requires the shortening of the spacer inside the sprocket carrier). Another option is to source a DR250 / 350 sprocket carrier. I have read on a kiwi bike forum that the DR carrier fits straight into the RGV hub and has a smaller profile. The great part about the rear is that the axle fits, and overall not too much work will need to be done.

I am motarding my bike as I don’t own shares in a tyre factory, and like having great traction off road. I will not be jumping or racing on cast rims – and don’t have the funds to buy Gucci excel rims . On the bright side, the mock up I did the other day looked great. The charcoal grey against the yellow looks great in my opinion.
:woohoo:

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #238

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
dangermouse wrote:
Thanks for the info Liam.
There are some nice looking bikes getting around.

Like you said it would be ideal to have a set of wheels for road and then a set for off road.
I have 14t-50t gearing at the moment for dirt so it's not the best for commuting (plus my tyres get mauled by the bitumen).

I have ordered the Cast Wheels with new Kings Tyres so when I get them I'll post some pics and let you know how they go (and how easy it is to change them over).

Cheers.

If you don't mind sharing how much did the wheels cost you? I've been watching ebay for cbr rims but the same odd pair (one 3 one 6 spoke) have been the only ones there for ages. The exetel boys seemed to have the monopoly on the rims in the wreakers here (I'm from Brissy).
Cheers

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #239

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
I almost got some stock DRZ SM rims on egay last week (the spoked excel rims) but got out bid at the last moment while I was at work :S

They would have been nice on one hand as I can use the stock speedo, but on the other hand there is no cush drive and I can see the advantage that the cast rims have with the cush drive.

Oh I wish I weren't so poor lol.

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #240

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
In regards to using a trailtech, I was planning on using my garmin 60csx as a speedo, it has an odometer feature as well as a very accurate and sensitive speed reading, can anyone see a flaw in doing this?

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #241

Hey TC,

The whole kit was about $1400. I got the black 3 spoke CBR rims, new Kings tyres, near new discs, 45t sprocket and all the spacers.

The guy who does the kits, Ken, is really helpful and answers any questions you may have, there is also an excellent guide on exactly how to install the rims.

The kits they sell are basically cost price + a little bit extra to pay for his website.

For the speedo I already had a Vapor and I didn't have any dramas when I got my bike registered. Not sure about a GPS. Maybe just ask one of the places that do the inspections.

@ Good - I don't know about RGV rims, but Ken also offers just a parts kit. Have a look at his site under option 2. If you have any questions I'm sure he can help you out.

Cheers,

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #242

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks mate, looking forward to the pictures :)

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #243

• mumbo
  • Fresh Boarder
New to this site but have already done the conversion....followed the conversion plan mentioned here. Very successful. Sourced all my own bits. I have the kit for sale now as I have a R1200gs for the road so won't need it. DRZ has gone back to off road configuration. I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #244

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
mumbo wrote:
New to this site but have already done the conversion....followed the conversion plan mentioned here. Very successful. Sourced all my own bits. I have the kit for sale now as I have a R1200gs for the road so won't need it. DRZ has gone back to off road configuration. I will post some pics if anyone is interested.

yes please :)

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #245

• mumbo
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok...will work out how !! Have some basic on bike ones but will get some close ups of components when it stops raining...

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #246

• TC
  • Senior Boarder
Start a photobucket acc, easy and free. When you run the curser over the picture (in photobucket) it will give a dropdown box of codes. Cut and paste the one starting [img] and paste it into your post here. Walla its done.

Hope this helps :P

Re:Motard Conversion 8 years, 3 months ago #247

• mumbo
  • Fresh Boarder
Hope this works
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds