you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

LED indicators
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: LED indicators

LED indicators 7 years, 9 months ago #486

• Den
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi.

Has anyone put LED indicators on a DRZ.

I have, but now they are not working. Something to do with the LED'S not drawing enough power.

I have heard you can either put resistors on each indiactor or put in a different flasher relay.

The bike shop gave me a different flasher relay, but it is different as the DRZ's flasher relay is combined with the relay for the side stand safety.

Any ideas.

Thanks, Dennis.

Re: LED indicators 7 years, 9 months ago #489

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
yeah i did.....by the two resisters off ebay for about 10 bucks, there easy to install, put one on the left side before the led indicator and one on the right....they get pretty hot so store them or wrap them in something so it dont melt anything else

Re: LED indicators 7 years, 9 months ago #491

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
I just recieved my led indicators today, got them from s3performance along with there tail light. Bought these ones as they are adr approved, dont know how the boys in blue will like it but anyway.

I looked into it a bit and you can put resistors inline or add a led flasher relay by splicing it into the indicator wiring, bit too hard for me and dont know how the wiring goes. You can also by a suzuki specific led flasher relay which incorperates the sidestand swith and clutch swith as well.

cgi.ebay.com.au/Suzuki-LED-Flasher-Relay-Plug-Play-GSXR-TLR-SV-Hayabusa-/280553048567?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories

This is the link for the part from ebay. This guy is in sydney and pretty good. i have purchased some stuff from him for my road bike in the past when i had it without any problems.

It is a bit expensive but then you dont have to splice any wires to add resisters or a 2 pin flasher relay, just plug in and your done. I dont mind paying for that convienience so will be doing that.

It doesnt mention that it fits the drz but i have pulled out the original and it is a 7 pin relay and most suzis run this type which incorperates the sidestand swith and clutch switch.

Hope this helps mate. :)
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 8 months ago #650

I just finished updating my website with what I did about my LED indicators, you can check it out here;
http://www.offroadvw.net/index.php?name=DRZ400E

Here's a copy of it...

Wiring the LED indicators wasn't very straight forward. There are heaps of DRZ400S/SM/American E wiring diagrams on the internet, but they are all different from the Aussie model. For some reason on the Australian model Suzuki decided it would be a good idea to connect the left turn signal "+"ve wire and right turn signal "+"ve wire to each side of the pilot light on the instrument cluster. So basically when the right indicators are on then the pilot light earths itself through the left indicators and vice versa. This works for the normal incandesant indicators, but not the LED indicators. When you fit LED's (without load resistors) the feed back through the pilot light is enough to light both sides of the indicator circuit. See my paint.net mark-up of the wiring diagram below.

The easy solution is to just remove the pilot light from the instrument cluster to break the circuit. The better solution is to modify the wiring to make it more like the S model diagram. I cut the pilot light bulb out of the harness, then put two LED's on. One powered by the greeny coloured right indicator "+"ve wire, the other powered by the black coloured left indicator "+"ve wire, and then both earthed to the nearest earth wire that I could find on the bike. I then glued the LED's together with an expoxy glue and put them into the instrument cluster with a little silicone to seal it and hold them in place. So now my instrument cluster warning light lights up a little more on the right or left side depending on which indicator I have on.

The flasher unit problem is well documented on the net. Basically you need a flasher unit that is not load sensitive, generally called an LED flasher unit. The problem is Suzuki have a weird 7-pin flasher unit which is linked with the side-stand / clutch cut-out relay. Fixing the problem is easy. Find the original 7 pin relay behind the headlight, and disconnect the blue and orange wires.  Then run the orange wire to the "+"ve of the LED flasher, the blue to the output of the flasher and if you get a 3 pin flasher then run the ground pin to a ground wire. I wanted to get a Narva flasher, but Repco didn't have any. So I got the Supercheap Auto version instead, which looks remarkably similar. Actually I bought a Chinese ebay LED flasher first (for $3.89), but it didn't work :(

Whenever working on wiring looks I spray all connections with lanolin oil spray. This puts a corrosion resistant layer of lanolin oil on everything, seems to work for the terminals and connections on my car which sees beach work. I also sprayed the tail light and led indicator circuit boards with a circuit board lacquer, I bought this stuff from Jaycar. Then I siliconed the lenses on to waterproof all the LED lights. I made sure I bought a waterproof silicon which said "non corrosive".

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #853

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Put some new blinkers on today from S3 performance as well (there really quick to arrive) and made up some brackets to fit them .. I also used two resisters ... Im hoping these last a little longer than the last ones i bought of e bay
blinker_2.jpg
blinker_1.jpg
blinker_3.jpg
The bracket on the bench just bolts on under the sub frame

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #856

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
hey wayno....those tyres you got on do they go alright in the bush.....or are they to slippery......how much of a difference do you think they are to knobbies

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #857

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
There the standard S model tyre ...Not to bad in the bush ... there not going to get you up big hills .. You do slip around more on gravel roads.But there really good around the streets ... really grippy .. If your not riding really hard stuff in the bush you can use them ..

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #858

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
cool

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #865

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
They look good on the front there wayno, i will have to get another set and get rid of the old ones on the front.

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #868

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah they look ok ... I cant work out how to get the clear plastic lense of without breaking them (they do clip on) .. I wanted to seal them with some silicon or some thing to stop the water and dirt .. So i thought i might put a small plastic bag over them when im in the really muddy stuff , and leave them on till after i have washed the bike ..I was also glad to get rid of the big steel brackets that hold on the standard blinkers , seriously i think you could tie your bike to the trailer with those things ..

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #870

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
I havnt touched mine and they have been fine in the mud and getting wet.
Went out yesterday in the mud and had some fun.

trying to put a pic in but having trouble.

DSC00030_2.jpg

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #872

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Yours must be good ones .. they look similar to the ones i had ... I think i probably made them worse when hosing the bike ..Your bike looks good .. how are the stickers on the tank holding up so far ???

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 7 months ago #880

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
I assume they are the same as the ones you have wayno as i also got them from s3 performance. I will be getting a set for the front soon :unsure: i hope. They are good bits of gear and nice and bright even during the day. They should last a while i'm hoping.

The stickers on the tank are fine, no peeling. some small scratches on the right side where i looped it in the sand once but they are hardly noticable.

It does look alot better when its dirty. :cheer:

Re:LED indicators 7 years, 6 months ago #921

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I noticed today at super cheap auto .. they have exactly the same blinkers .. a couple of bucks cheaper and if you need some in a hurry its handy to know (not that s3 take long) ...

Re: LED indicators 6 years, 10 months ago #1829

• Symz77
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all found relays for led lights on eBay store lightsforbikes plug in 7 pin about $30 posted
Cheers
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds