You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Aftermarket Headlight
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Aftermarket Headlight

Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #472

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I am in the process of fitting an aftermarket headlight at the moment. It is a knock off of the acerbis light. It's going to need a bit of silicone here and there to make it waterproof, and the yellow isn't quite right but it should look pretty good when fitted.

I have currently removed the headlight and brackets. The standard light is a lot heavier than the aftermarket one (but I doubt the standard light weighs more than 4kg - will put it on the scales soon), and the brackets are a shit to remove having to drop the forks, but what I can't believe is how much excess wiring is behind there. I alsohate the electrical tape on everything - it starts to unravel and makes everything sticky.

I hope to take some progress shots soon.
light.jpg

Re: Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #473

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
man thats a shop job for me....
But gees that looks impressive - what's something like that going for
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #475

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
$50AUD posted from ebay (China) but it looks well made.

Re:Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #526

• Good
  • Gold Boarder

I have just fitted the aftermarket headlight. I bought a matching plug fitting from Jaycar to make removal of the headlight easier. Really happy with the end result, not so happy that the headlight came with both lights blown and it cost me $28 for new globes (but I will contact the seller and see if they will send me some new globes). The yellow isn't quite right but isn't too bad. The lights are hooked up so Low beam is off and High Beam they are all on. I could of set it up differently but would of required a diode...in the end I couldn't be bothered, and at least now if the battery is low I can turn the light off.

Re:Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #533

nice job
makes it look like some transformers stick insect.

Re:Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #537

Good wrote:
The standard light is a lot heavier than the aftermarket one (but I doubt the standard light weighs more than 4kg - will put it on the scales soon)

I just weighed my stock headlight. It is
Headlight with alignment frame = 657g
Plastic surround = 363g
Headlight fork mounting brackets = 458g
Total = 1.478kg

Has anyone weighed the aftermarket headlights? I can't find the weights anywhere online. The stock unit wouldn't be too bad if it had lighter aluminium mounting brackets. I could make some up if people were interested.

Re:Aftermarket Headlight 8 years ago #542

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I didn't weigh the replacement headlight, but it is noticably lighter than the stock unit, I would say between 1/2 and 1/3 the weight of the stock one.

My main concern with the stock one was the cost of a replacement item. As I don't commute at night, and am not into buying high end brands like acerbis and ufo, then it was a no brainer to fit an aftermarket headlight.

I made a headlight protector to protect the glass, but am much happier with the aftermarket job.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds