you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Idle / Carb problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Idle / Carb problem

Idle / Carb problem 3 years, 1 month ago #4596

• Tristan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi chaps,

I've got a pretty much stock DRZ400e, and have been trying to get it to idle properly for weeks now. I've had the carb out so many times I can do it with one hand!

Basically it wont ever idle at the same point, so it's either revving like crazy or just cutting out, or sometimes chugging along just nicely. I also noticed the other day that when tilting the bike to the left (or putting it on the side stand) it makes it rev up really high! This also seems to happen when i put the brakes on while idling, rolling along at a slow speed. could there be a leak somewhere in the carb?

The throttle cables are not pulling, I have tried cleaning all the jets a couple of times, set the float height, fiddled with the fuel screw (seems to work best further out than it should be - it's at about 3.5 turns at the moment). Have also tried swearing at it, which only works temporarily.

If anyone's got an more ideas, I'd appreciate your input!
Cheers,
Tristan

Re: Idle / Carb problem 3 years ago #4610

• s13silk
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey mate any luck with the carby issue? I'm no expert on carbs but I would have thought that the erratic idling would be caused by an air leak past the slide. Initially I would have said cables pulling but you checked that.

Spraying carby cleaner into the carby can eat the gasket between the slide and wear plate and cause erratic idling. Is the wear plate in upside down?

Re: Idle / Carb problem 3 years ago #4611

• s13silk
  • Fresh Boarder

Re: Idle / Carb problem 2 years, 11 months ago #4623

• Tristan
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mate, thanks for your suggestions. From what you said, I started looking into the slider and wear plate and found this:
husaberg.org/fuel/16056-keihin-fcr-vacuum-release-plate-seal.html

I inspected mine and found similar wear on the insides of the slide housing - I have now done a similar fix with some of that shiny metal tape stuff (like sticky tin-foil). This fix has made it fit snugly, no movement front to back or left-right and I'm pretty sure the idle is now more stable. I have also replaced the wear-plate seal. cost me 17 quid!

However, the tilting problem still persists. Lean the bike to the left, it revs up. lean it right and it stalls. To me it seems it must have something to do with the fuel in the float sloshing to the sides as this seems to be the only part of the carb affected by tilting.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,
Tristan

Re: Idle / Carb problem 2 years, 11 months ago #4625

• s13silk
  • Fresh Boarder
If there's no air leak around the slide or engine to carb boot, and the throttle cables aren't actuating the slide when you tilt the bike then I'd still be looking at your pilot jet and pilot air jet for blockages. Not sure how tilting the bike could be creating this effect though.
Your float height will affect how rich or lean the bike runs but if you're float height is correct, the float is ok and float needle Is good I can't imagine it creating this problem
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds