you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Carburetor troubles
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carburetor troubles

Carburetor troubles 4 years, 3 months ago #4050

• tattooOz
  • Fresh Boarder
HI Guys and Girls. Firstly, I am not mechanically minded so bare with me. Today I fuelled up and moved the fuel selection dial from main tank to reserve. For some reason I looked into the tank before filling, and think that I may have seen a small leaf at the bottom of the tank prior to filling. I have a long range aftermarket tank on the bike. What I think has happened is that the leaf is now trapped under the part that allows fuel to flow as I now need to turn the fuel dial to "off" to stop fuel from coming out of one of the tubes that hangs below the bike.
My question is this. Is this something that I could repair, or take to a mechanic for attention? Are the carburetors difficult and too delicate for someone with little to no mechanical skills to tamper with?Is this a carburetor issue or a fuel tank issue?
Thanks team

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 3 months ago #4051

I recently had fuel overflowing as you described. Stock tank with a 1 way breather hose. I opened the feul cap and overflowing stopped. Now i put the stock breather hose back on and no probs. If its not that maybe empty tank to see if the leaf is in there if so remove leaf.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tattooOz

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 3 months ago #4053

• my400e
  • Senior Boarder
I think you are trying to describe something caught in the needle and seat of the carb. Here's a quick fix that has worked more than not over all the years.
Grab a good size screwdriver and use the HANDLE ( NOT the blade end) and give the bowl (bottom of the carb) a few good decent taps either side to dislodge foreign object.
It usually works if something small is keeping it open...
Costs nothing... worth a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tattooOz

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 3 months ago #4054

• tattooOz
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks mate... thats great... I will give that a try... I did look on Youtube yesterday and it looks too complex for this mind to attempt to open the carb etc... cheers for the advice :-)

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 3 months ago #4068

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Getting access to the carb float bowl is a PIA.

If the blow to the float bowl with a screw driver trick doesn't work, try draining the float bowl. You need a 14 or 17 mm ring spanner to undo the bolt at the base of the carbie float bowl. Turn off the fuel tap and then when it stops flowing out, let a bit more flow though. Then put the bolt back in ( not too tightly) and then try the feul tap again.

If it has stopped leaking out of the overgflow tube, then the fuel neeedle seat has cleared whatever was obstructing it.

If not:

Perhaps find someone who lives nearby to show you how to remove the carbie.
In summary you will need to loosen the hose clamps on the inlet and outlet side of the carbie. Then you can roatate the carbie towards you. Then you can undo the 4 allen bolts at the base of the float bowl and then you can see the fuel float valve and clean it. You might aslo have to replace the o ring if it is damaged.

All this is easier if you have removed the black oil spill bottle on the rhs of the carbie and replaced it with a T joiner.

If you haven't done so already I suggest that you download the DRZ manual available at the home page of this site and study it.

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 2 months ago #4075

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Bugger. I have to do the same to mine. It is dripping fuel from the carbie body. Obviously I didn't seat the float bowl back well.

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 2 months ago #4077

• tattooOz
  • Fresh Boarder
Mine has actually come right by itself. What ever it was has cleared thankfully

Re: Carburetor troubles 4 years, 2 months ago #4078

• my400e
  • Senior Boarder
That's good to hear tattoo.
It doesn't take very much to cause what happened. You may want to do what I have done, and run an in-line serviceable (pull apart - clean - re-assemble)fuel filter between tap and carb as well ... just an idea ;-)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds