you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on

Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2891

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Bought some off-road boots a few weeks ago and been struggling with my gear changes ever since - changing up a gear to be precise, as the boots are so stiff it is hard to get my toe under the short change lever. I've been finding that the boot pushes the lever towards the engine casing more than it lifts it up.

I had read in a few places to try different pedals, or try the rocker type foot pegs.

Others have said to give the boots time to break in before making any modifications, and I have done that. Boots have got slightly better, but I find fast up-shifting (say on the roads at the lights) is where the bike refuses to change gear - can be a bit embarrassing at times.

I finally had enough and moved the gear shift lever up 1 spline (I think it would hit the casing any more than this), and it has made all the difference. I degreased the input shaft/pedal first, then marked the positon with a paint pen for reference, as it is easy to move it 2 splines by mistake. It is now like a different bike to ride, and I would recommend the same to anyone having the same difficulties.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2892

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Clarky , if you still have the standard gear lever you will notice at the end closest to the engine casing it is a sharp edge , most file that down a bit and round it of just to help prevent it going threw the casing .. If you have any more trouble there are gear levers on ebay that are one inch longer . cheers ..

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2893

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Wayno - will look into that.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2901

• Grumpy
  • Senior Boarder
I bought the msr gear shift lever as its 1 inch longer than standard , feels a lot better than the standard.

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2909

• Owey
  • Expert Boarder
Like the others have said, MSR +1 inch lever. heaps easier to use just might have to bend it out a touch if you have crank case covers installed.

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 9 months ago #2919

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
+1

got the MSR extended shift lever
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 7 months ago #3095

i have the same problem just got fox size 13 (bigfoot)i had the problem of shifting up gears
mate told me just to unmount the lever and repostion it up a few notches but that seems a bit close to the casing?

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 7 months ago #3096

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I moved it up just one spline - made all the difference. Boots will bed in a bit too - try walking round in them for a day or so at the weekend.

Mine are fine now, don't even think about it now, and was really struggling before.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E
The following user(s) said Thank You: teddybear

Re: Gear Change Lever hard to operate with boots on 5 years, 7 months ago #3106

• Screwed
  • Fresh Boarder
This is my first ever post - DRZ rider from Tassie. I had problems also with changing gears with my size 11 boots, tried the MSR + 1 inch lever and found that I was having a lot of false neutrals due to the longer arc required to change gears.

I switched to the Hammerhead lever with the adjustable tip had no problems since.

Would recommed though that you get some case covers for extra protection.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.07 seconds