You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Electric Fan on Australian E models
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: Electric Fan on Australian E models

Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2853

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Do the Australian E models have an electric fan on them?
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2854

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
No , the S and the motard do , but i have heard of people putting them on ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2855

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the reply Wayno - that's pretty odd considering the climate here. I have a powerline track not far from me in the hills - it's a good track, but a bit steep and rutted in places which makes for high revs and slow speeds - would be concerned in summer about the engine temp.

Do you/anyone else have any overheating problems/any input.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2856

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
I haven't as yet , i stay aware of it on hot days and change to more open flowing tracks and try to keep moving along (for me and the bike) . Usaully if im riding with guys on wr,s or crf,s there bikes will over heat long before a drz will and i use that as a bit of a guage . There are temp guages you can put on , some of the vapor speedo,s have them . There is a small bolt at the top of the left radiator , im not sure if its just a bleeder or where the S and SM models put a senscer , i dont think it would be to hard to put one in there ?? ..

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2857

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
i had overheating issues and thought it was from the devol rad guards i put on. But i did a coolant change and put the ballards anti boil in and its been good since.

I now change the coolant about 6 mth intervals instead of the year or 2 years it says in the service manual.
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2858

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Just spotted a vapor speedo on ebay ( comes with a sensor) for just under $150 delivered

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2859

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
I've had one of those for a while, good setup. Just make sure you know which temp sensor you are getting in the kit - there are two different styles.

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2860

• Dano
  • Expert Boarder
yep I have the vapor speedo with the temp sensor for the rad. Goes in the left side bolt and gives you two warnings on teh dash. Amber light for when you reach 90 and red for 97 - I think...
Dan
09 Doctor

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2861

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Seen this on Youtube:

One of our members?

Looks like it would do the job.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2862

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Found this guy on Thumpertalk who has done it:

www.thumpertalk.com/topic/804409-installing-a-spal-radiator-fan-into-drz400e/

Using this fan:

www.spalautomotive.co.uk/acatalog/12_VOLT_SUCTION_FANS.html

I think I could probably devise a way of mounting without drilling any additional holes.

I'm just toying with this idea at the moment, but I would prefer having the fan on a themostatically controlled switch, rather than manual switching, so will have to either look into how the other models do it, or by fitting an additional thermostat switch myself (I have seen ones that fit into the rad hoses)

Give me something to think about..
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2863

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Found a guy on Thumpertalk who has done it:

Using a spal fan:

I think I could probably devise a way of mounting without drilling any additional holes.

I'm just toying with this idea at the moment, but I would prefer having the fan on a themostatically controlled switch, rather than manual switching, so will have to either look into how the other models do it, or by fitting an additional thermostat switch myself (I have seen ones that fit into the rad hoses)

Give me something to think about..
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2864

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I've found a couple of companies that do thermo fan switches:

Davies Craig do one with a sensor that slips down inside the rubber hose for about $70,

And a company called Revotec (sell though Europa) do an inline switch for about $100 that involves cutting out a section of water hose, and then clamping a sensor/switch inline. They do one with 19mm fittings for the smaller hoses that bikes use.

I reckon you could get all the bits for an install, including a thermo controlled switch and a proper automotive fan for about $200 - $250.

Hmmm, very tempted to have a shot at this...
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2866

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Have found a fan that might do the job at a fraction of the cost – it’s a computer fan (made by Koolance) which I wasn’t too keen on originally, but this one sounds like a bit of a beast – rated at 185 cfm (cubic feet a minute) and only AU$24 ($36 delivered from Melbourne). Measures 120mm X 120mm X 38mm, I reckon it will be a perfect fit. That Stal fan was gonna cost a lot to get here – was proving hard to track down Australia.
So, have ordered it. It should be fairly well protected from moisture sat behind the rad as long as I don’t go riding through any lakes - I’m not sure how well it will cope with dust, but it is rated at 2 Amps, so is certainly not a flimsy toy. If it breaks, it is only $36 and a lesson learnt.

There is a bleed screw on the LH rad top tank, the TTO temp gauges do use these for a temp sender, but I don’t think this is the same thing as a fan switch. If anyone knows different, I would be interested to hear, save me cutting a hose to install an inline thermo switch (be cheaper too I’d imagine)

After a bit of researching, it appears that the DRZ400E model cooling system in different to the S & SM models in the following ways:

No Fan mounts
No Fan switch or temp sender (and no redundant holes for them either)
The plumbing is different on the rads – on the E model the rads are joined together top and bottom by hoses and the coolant flows through both rads at once, on the S & SM models they flow through one at a time.
Will try and upload a diagram when I get home.

Hopefully fan will arrive before the weekend so I can work out the mounts – if I can’t do it without drilling any extra holes, I won’t bother and there’ll be a fan for sale on ebay.. I may have to relocate/remove the horn from the RH Rad to make it fit – I could live with that. So far, I want it install on the RH tank, as that is where the coolant return to the engine is – reckon you may as well have the fan situated just before the return - that is where you want it coolest. If I can mount the fan no probs, and it is powerful/durable enough, will go ahead and order the therm switch.

Will keep you posted on progress – any input will be appreciated.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2867

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Personally i wouldnt be to confident a computer fan will hold up to the dust and water , did you get a price on a drz motard fan from the wreckers ??

Re: Electric Fan on Australian E models 5 years, 6 months ago #2868

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
I did wonder about that Wayno, but I saw somewhere else that a guy said he's been using a computer fan for a year or so with no trouble. For $36 I thought I'd give it a go, and if it breaks, well a lesson learnt for us all and I can buy/install another one without too many troubles - the system will already be inplace by that stage.

Haven't priced up a wrecker, but this is Perth - be almost cheaper to fly to another country, buy one there and fly back again.... ;-)
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds