you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Ride Height Adjustment?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ride Height Adjustment?

Ride Height Adjustment? 5 years, 10 months ago #2785

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
Hi all,

The bloke down the local Suzuki dealer told me I could adjust the ride height of the bike by the collars on the rear suspension. Is this correct, or is this only for setting the stiffness of the ride. I'm 6ft tall, and even I am struggling a bit on uneven ground. Another inch lower would be perfect.

Any advice, and suggestions on tools required (I'm fairly handy mechanically, so have no problems taking bits off to get access)

Cheers
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Ride Height Adjustment? 5 years, 10 months ago #2789

• Glennboy
  • Junior Boarder
I lowered my drz400e with a tallon lowing link, I think it lowered it 1" and I also put a 1" lower gel seat on at the same time, now I can flat foot so its better for river crossings and single trail etc but when I jumped an erosion drain it bottomed out much easier than before. I am worried more about the front forks I pushed up through the triple clamps from standard an extra 10mm to compensate for the lowered rear end.

If I bottom out will the front tyre jam into the front guard?

I have 265mm from the top of the knob on the front tyre to the bottom of the bolt that holds the guard on. Is this enough clearance?

I guess I can turn up the rear spring all the way to stop it being so soft now its lowered

concerned about jumping the old drz tractor now but loving being able to flat foot.

lowering link works but softens the rear shock, try it its an easy cheep mod that is easily reversible but after 1 ride i am torn between lower or more travel, hope this helps.

Re: Ride Height Adjustment? 5 years, 10 months ago #2795

• Clarky
  • Expert Boarder
The guy in the dealer said not to use those lowering links unless I have to, that's why he suggested adjusting the rear spring? Can't find out any info on whether this is the correct way of doing it or not. Will keep searching.
2000 Suzuki SV650S
1980 Honda CX500A
2007 Suzuki DRZ400E

Re: Ride Height Adjustment? 5 years, 10 months ago #2796

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
I did a fair bit of research before putting a lowering link on mine, and while there were plenty of people saying they were a bad idea, there were just as many saying it was ok as long as you didn't go over 1". To be on the safe side I put in a .75" link that came with a new bolt on foot for the side stand.

I can just touch the ground comfortably with the standard Seat Concepts seat, but end up on tippy toes with the Airhawk on top of that.

I also slide the forks an extra 1/2" higher in the triple clamps. The rear spring had already been upgraded in mine, so was pretty much spot on when sag was measured, but needed the fronts resprung and revalved.

Handles really well now and have never noticed the front tire any where near bottoming on the guard.

Re: Ride Height Adjustment? 5 years, 10 months ago #2803

• Glennboy
  • Junior Boarder
Well if yours is 1/2 inch more in the triple clamps I should be fine with only 10mm as 1/2 inch is about 12.5mm if I am correct. I have just increased my compression on the rear shock high speed from 1/14 turns to 3/4 turn and low speed 10 clicks to now 7 clicks this should stiffen up the rear shock a bit and reduce the chance of bottom out. I have not tested the bike yet but am hopeful this will work.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds