You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

chain and sprocket mods
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: chain and sprocket mods

chain and sprocket mods 7 years ago #2092

hey guys my bike has the stock chain and sprockets on them and they are starting to annoy me firstly at highway speed its revving its nuts off just to keep up with the metal coffin hoard and when im doing deep river crossings 1st gear seems to high but second is too low (doh) so i was using the gearing calculator provided (which is great by the way) and it looks like a 16/ 41 ratio front/back is the go.... however it throws up a issue in the sprocket wear field saying that the front sprocket would hit the same link every chain rotation so my question is do i go down in link number or what.... i use this bike as adventure style bike with a slightly more offroad biase any help would be great

Re: chain and sprocket mods 7 years ago #2093

• Good
  • Gold Boarder
I run a 15 / 47, this makes it cruise better at 100k an hour, but it could still be quite a bit better.

Problem with a 16 tooth front is it could cut into the rubber piece at the front of the swing arm (which I think without looking is part of the chain slider). The 15 goes bloody close to it.

The other issue with a 16 is finding a case saver to fit.

A guy at work has recently motarded a E model and is running 15/38 but he recons even that might be a bit too tall for highway speeds.

I recon 15/41 might be worth considering. I am going to try 15/43 with my Motard wheels and see how that goes (I am runnning RGV rims).

Re: chain and sprocket mods 7 years ago #2097

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
15/44 is the best compromise I have found.

Re: chain and sprocket mods 7 years ago #2099

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I am with Bundyjd 15/44 is a good compromise.

14/47 is a good off road trail riding combo (standard), 13/47 in steep hills.

15/47 is still trail riding with first gear OK for moderate tight stuff and 100 KPH cruise in 5th.

15/44 when you want easier cruising at 110KPH and you are willing to sacrifice walking speed first gear and will use the clutch more.

15/41 when you are not worried about a walking pace 1st gear and want to desert blast ( or you have a Rekluse clutch fitted? right)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds