You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

APC rally: who is entering in 2012?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.

TOPIC: APC rally: who is entering in 2012?

APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2033

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I have almost finished setting my DRZ400 up for touring.

I have entered the APC rally to be held in July -August 2012. There was a bit of a write up about it in TBAM last issue. It sounds like too good an adventure to miss out on. I found a lot of information about the rally on the APC website (Google it).

Is anyone else considering having a go at this event? It would be good to see a lot of DRZ400's doing the rally. There will be a lot of DR650's for sure.

You don't need a V twin KTM to do this sort of thing.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2037

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Love to do it but it will depend on work, family, money etc etc etc, you know the drill.

Sad part is I've got a DRZ and a DR650 all set up and both would do the job, but no time to ride them!

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2038

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Kipo.

I was in your situation this year when I heard about the APC rally. I found it really hard to read about the fun that others had in the 2011 APC Super Thread on ADVrider!
I think 102 riders entered the first rally in 2011. A few DRZ400s did it.

This time I hope I will have someone to cover my business while I am on the ride. If not, I will close down for 2 weeks and go anyway.

I am trying to get a Green Triangle team organized (SE of SA + SW of Victoria). So far we have 5 riders mostly on Suzukis (650's & 400's). You could be an honorary member, even though you don't have webbed feet ( it is wet here, unlike Pt. Augusta)

To enter you have to have a GPS and a Spot tracker. The idea is that they download the route onto your GPS and you follow the coloured line more or less. Entrants will need a fuel range of 320km ( 17L tank) plus a bit in case you get lost. You can start the loop in any of 6 places and you get a finisher's medal if you make it back to where you started. The loop is about 7000km. You have to carry camping gear and enough food /water for a day in case you get caught between towns. It is a daylight hours only ride to reduce the risks to rider from animal hits.

I hope to camp out mostly and pub stay probably every third day for a shower and comfie bed.

Once I finish the bike prep. I will try to post a photo.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2043

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah I was very impressed with the concept of the event from what I followed on Advrider, very clever (but then again the co-ordinator was a real estate agent after all!) The several starting points and spot trackers to keep tabs on everyone.

I've got few things happening in my business atm so I'll see what happens.

Thanks for the offer of becoming a honorary Mexican!

Cheers, Kipo

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2046

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Kipo, you would be surprised the number of SA born people there are on this region.

Check out the latest edition of Aust. MC News for a story on the 2011 APC rally. 10 pages!

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2047

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Cheers, I'll check it out.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2060

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
xrman - just did the first longish ride over the weekend since fitting the Rekluse EXP 2.0 clutch kit along with 15/44 gearing, and I absolutely love it!

Took a bit of fiddle-arsing around to get it set up right, but well worth it.

I dropped in some new Motul 7100 full synthetic at the same time which resulted in a bit of inital clutch slip, but that seems to have settled down now. Also took a little while to get into the habit of blipping the throttle lightly to keep the engine braking engaged, but no real dramas there.

Apart from the total lack of stalling in low speed tight stuff, the best part is that it can still be bump started by slackening off the perch adjuster and with a couple of tools the whole thing can be returned to standard in about 15 minutes (I keep the stock parts in my tool kit).

If (and it's pretty big if at the moment) I do the rally next year, I think i'll be glad it's there.....

Cheers,
John

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2065

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
John to be honest I don't really know the costs/benefits of the rekluse clutch. Please educate me /others.

I found out that 2 guys rode DRZ's in the rally in 2011. I read on ADVrider that one had slight oil loss issues at high revs where he had removed the black box breather oil collector. He was using 15/41/42? gearing, so I reckon 15/44 should be fine for me.

I went for a fully loaded ride ( 28L fuel+ panniers+ rear rack with spares)on the Mitas E-09 tyres through mud/water and deep sand. The suspension modifed by Terry Hay (RaceTech)worked really well. The Mitas tyres are not a mud knobby by any means but they will cope as long as I am easy on the throttle.

Check out the AMNC article and the ADVrider Australia APC 2011 and 2012 threads for some background informaiton. It sounds like an Adventure of a life time. It would be good to have a few more DRZ's on the Rally.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years, 1 month ago #2069

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
For me, the auto clutch only came into the equation when I significantly changed the gearing on my bike to make it more rideable at highway speeds (which is why I thought you might be interested).

Riding in tight stuff in 1st gear became a bit of a chore with lots of clutch feathering and stalling occasionally. Now my bike is near impossible to stall.

More info here: www.rekluse.com/trail.shtml

Really easy to install as well if you watch the video on that page. And as long as you carry the stock clutch plates and springs with you, it would be easy to just pull it out if anything went wrong.

I got mine online from Suttos in Penrith, cost was $439 incl shipping.

I'm seriously considering doing the rally, but need to do a few longer trips on the bike before I would be confident that both bike and rider would be capable of finishing.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years ago #2076

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I can understand your indecision about entering. It is 15 years since I did a trip like this. (4000 km in 2 weeks icluding tourist days) I had black hair then!

I just thought that it is a chance of a life time and I had better do it before I get too much older. I know I can ride for 5-6 hours a day on my trail bike on snotty terrain still. This is easier riding than that, so I figure that I can do it. OK 14 days in a row might be a challenge physically. I plan to keep off the turps and hit the sack early.

I will also take a little more time off so thatif I can't make the 500 Km /day average, then I will finish a few days later. So what!

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years ago #2079

• bundyjd
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah, it's one of those things that if I don't do it soon, i'll never do it.

It's been a long time between bikes for me - until a couple of years ago the last time I owned a bike was 1991 when I moved from Townsville down to Canberra to do the whole career and family thing.

I started riding again when my son took an interest, first on a KTM 2 stroke enduro (which was clearly designed for the sole purpose of trying to kill me), then the KLX. He now has a car and license and has mostly lost interest in riding, so I started riding on my own or with friends, and found myself addicted all over again.

My bike is set up pretty well for adventure touring, so just need to get back some of the riding confidence and fitness that I used to have....

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 7 years ago #2130

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Nike! Just do it!

I had the same problem when the Thumper Nationals 4 stroke MX series started. I decided it was now or never and entered on a DR350 Suzuki. I knew I would never win but I just wanted to participate. There was a smattering of KTM, Huskies, and a heap of XR400's tricked out to the max. and 3 bog standard DR350s. We were left in the mud/dust after three seconds post the flag falling. But for a brief second the Suzukis lead the field after riding around the outside of the first corner pile up. Old heads on old bikes! It didn't last long, but I didn't finish last. I have the memories and my name in the program on my shed brag wall.

So Bundyjd, my advice is to check out the APC rally on the website and pay your deposit. It will be an experience of a life time and it will motivate you to get bike fit.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 6 years, 8 months ago #2428

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Hi All,

After my broken leg in October I am still off the bike, but at least I am walking again, albeit slowly. I am going to try some electromagnetic pulse therapy to see if I can speed up the healing of the 6 fractures in my tibia and fibula. See www.globalenergymedicine.com My leg still swells up if I stand up for too long.

While I have been unable to ride I have have some shed time. It is really difficult to work on your bike while on crutches! I put an old dental stool in the shed and scooted around on that.

I have fitted a MSC steering damper to the bike.( Moto Ralle brand)

Today I finished wiring in a headlight cut out switch to aid cold morning starts. I also ran a power lead to heated grips.

I will outline how I did this wiring change. I wanted to have the heated grips on the igniiton switch, so that I would not be able to leave the grips on over night and flatten the battery.

To stop the headlight coming on with the ignition key, I removed the switch block and found the high/low beam switch. After I slit open the cable tube that contains all the wires, I cut the yellow/white wire ( power in) and soldered two wires to each cut end,. I ran these to a switch I had on the headlight /number plate. So now when it is in the off position, the power to the headlight is cut. I also attached a wire from the "On" terminal of this switch across to another switch on the other side of the headlight/ number plate. When the headlight isolation switch is on then power runs to the heated grips switch. This is a three way switch (off/high/Low settings)

Next I have an Michelin HP4 front tyre to fit and trial before the APC rally. I didn't mind the Mitas E-09 on most surfaces except in deep sand it sucked. I will persist with the E-09 rear for now. Others I am considering are Dunlop Geomax -71 and Kenda Trackmaster 2

My next move will be to get help with setting up my suspension to suit the weight with all my luggage fitted. My local suspension guru said that there is a quick adjust collar that can be fitted that will allow adjustment for loaded to non loaded sag setting in a minute or so.

I am hoping to be strong enough in the leg to be back on the bike by April and get in a few long rides to get my bike fitness back.

On the APC rally 2012 thread on ADVrider it sounds as there will be a few more DRZ400 in the APC event this year. I will be really disappointed if I can't get up to the fitness level I need to enter. I might even have to ride in a 4WD if I can't get ready in time.

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 6 years, 8 months ago #2432

• kipo
  • Senior Boarder
Hope you make it to the APC Rally xrman.

Was the MSC dampner under bar or over bar?

I'm after an under bar one because I've got bar risers fitted and the over bar ones means losing the risers. I'm finding it hard to find an under bar one for the DRZ.

Cheers. Kipo

Re: APC rally: who is entering in 2012? 6 years, 8 months ago #2433

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
Kipo it is an under bar unit that comes complete with bar risers to suit it. It looks the goods with damping away and back to centre and a sudden impact valve in case you have too little damping dialed in a big hit situation.

The service from MSC was a bit hit and miss. I had to ask several times for instructions on fitting to be sent. They eventuall e-mailed the instructions. I would have thought that a copy included with the product would make sense.

I hope I get to participate in the rally too. I have been looking forward to it for a long time. I don't want to be a burden to my mates though if I am not fit enough. I think I would be happy just doing a few days of the course and then slowly coming home, if my body refuses to mend fast enough.
Time to create page: 1.46 seconds