You are not logged in.

Hot Topics

More Topics »

Login form

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Gearing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gearing

Gearing 7 years, 9 months ago #2

• Andrew
  • Administrator
I've changed from a 14 - 47 to a 14 -42 gearing, this did mean I had to remove two links from the chain. Now when sitting on 100 km/h the engine is pulling 6300 RPMs and at 110 km/h it is pulling 6900 RPMs.

Does anyone know how many RPMs the original 14 - 47 gearing pulls at 100 km/h?

Andrew

Re:Gearing 7 years, 9 months ago #12

• Burtyboy
  • Fresh Boarder
If you go to www.gearingcommander.com you can work it out using the gearing calculator. Its quite a usefull tool.

Paul.

Re:Gearing 7 years, 8 months ago #25

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
Picked up my DRZ yesterday :)
Greg at Dahlitz suggested I might want to swap out the rear for a smaller sprocket and I think I will. I am limited to 80km/h on my Ls but I kept finding myself looking for another gear since it's revving out so much even at 80.

I'll drop in to see him during the week

Sorry I can't tell you what revs I am doing though with no tacho.

As we've said Merretta once I am comfortable we will have to go for a ride!

Re:Gearing 7 years, 8 months ago #26

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
ok so Greg replaced the front sprocket with a bigger one (as I understand it??) which means it doesn't rev near as hard at 80km/hr which is great! He said they're sold geared for the dirt a bit more but seeing as I bought mine to mostly commute with the occasional trail ride, that I would prefer different gearing. I'm trialling this new set up for a few days and if I like he'll change the rear as well. I had better sneak up to 110 somewhere to see what it's like at that kind of speed. Unfortunately, unless I follow you guys and grab the Vapour, I don't have a means to measure the revs..... I can only go by sound...

That said, it is already MUCH better! With the original gearing I kept looking for an extra gear from 70km/hr upward, but would realise then that I was already in the top gear...

Re:Gearing 7 years, 8 months ago #27

• Andrew
  • Administrator
Hi _liam_

Great to see you got a DRZ, really from the type of riding it sounds like you will be doing there isn't any other choice.

On my last DRZ I used to run the bigger front sprocket 15 up from a 14 and a smaller rear 44 down from a 47 this gives you the same gearing as the street version of the DRZ which will sit on 100km/h with ease.

Keep riding and remember to give us a shout when your after someone to go riding with, I am no supercross champ so you don't have to be Chad Reed to keep up to me :woohoo: .

Also the link Paul posted www.gearingcommander.com is excellent for working out RPMs on the DRZ.

Andrew

Re:Gearing 7 years, 8 months ago #28

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah mate I am stoked.

I got the bike up to 100 on my way home this afternoon... made sure noone was around and went for it in the 100 zone between the airport and QBN. Doctor Zed wasn't revving as hard as it would've with the stock front sprocket but I might still get Greg to change the rear for a 44.

Thanks for the tip mate :)

Re:Gearing 7 years, 5 months ago #165

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
hey guys an i get some help on sprockets front and back.....my bike has 44 on the back and dont know whats on the front......but it feels like i have way too much top speed needed for the bush and feel like im lacking down low.....eg...i feel like im dropping into 1st gear too often i would love a bit more up and go in second and third....other guys have 50 teeth on the back and keep saying this is what i should do, i would like to know what combo would be good to give a (front and back) any help would be good ....

Re:Gearing 7 years, 5 months ago #166

Hey Daz,
It depends do you ride on the road at all?
Your front is a 14 , 14-44 is more for the road
I have a 14-47 standard Aussie drz400e specs very good for the bush but will rev its tits of a 80k's on road
its hard to get a good medium also going up one tooth on front is the same as moving up 2 or rear
I ride 50/50 dirt /road mine is way to high revs to hard on road Im thinking 14/44

Re:Gearing 7 years, 5 months ago #167

• daz80j
  • Expert Boarder
  • DRZ 400E 2005
im 90% dirt and if im on the road its definetly not more than 80kph unless im giving it a spurt.....not sitting consistenly above 80kph.....my cousin has a new wr250 he has a 50 teeth and a mate has a ttr 250 with a 50....do you think a 14-50 on mine would give me that more i want out of 2nd and 3rd gear....and if im running 14-44 and change to 14-50 will i need more chain or less and do chains come in standard lengths as this is the first chain and sprocket change i have done and also in my opinion 14 - 44 is great for top speed i cracked 130kph in the bush and still felt like it had heaps more but then i shit myself and backed off....(my drz rejetted and full system)

aussiedrz400e wrote:
Hey Daz,
It depends do you ride on the road at all?
Your front is a 14 , 14-44 is more for the road
I have a 14-47 standard Aussie drz400e specs very good for the bush but will rev its tits of a 80k's on road
its hard to get a good medium also going up one tooth on front is the same as moving up 2 or rear
I ride 50/50 dirt /road mine is way to high revs to hard on road Im thinking 14/44

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #573

• mickxr6
  • Senior Boarder
_liam_ wrote:
Yeah mate I am stoked.

I got the bike up to 100 on my way home this afternoon... made sure noone was around and went for it in the 100 zone between the airport and QBN. Doctor Zed wasn't revving as hard as it would've with the stock front sprocket but I might still get Greg to change the rear for a 44.

Thanks for the tip mate :)

So did you go the 15 Tooth front sprocket? Did it just bolt on without altering the sprocket cover in any way? Just heard that i may rub with the 15 is all...
Mick.

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #574

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
I changed the front to a 15T and you have to change the case guard (the metal bit that stops the front sprocket cutting your engine in half if it lets go).

I looked at after market jobbies, but got an S model guard for $20 including post from a Suzuki dealer on the central coast. The S model comes stock with a 15T front sprocket.

I find it is still good in the bush, but the motor makes allot less noise at 100k now when commuting to work.

When I motard it I will be aiming for gearing that will see it sit on the same RPM at 120kph as it does now at 100. Assume I will need to go down to a 42T rear, but will compromise as I want to run the same chain.

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #575

• mickxr6
  • Senior Boarder
S model cover for $20 is a steal!! Have to look into it as i want more cruise than bruise! lol. I assume they look the same? Thanks for the reply mate...

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #576

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Yeah they look almost identical. You can get the part number off www.ronayers.com and click on the fische.

There was up to $10 difference in the price from the central coast shop and the Newcastle one.

The central coast shop had it in stock and posted it to me, paid with the credit card over the phone. The local dealer had to order them in and I had to go into the shop and pay for it before they would order it. Considering the shop was 40min from my house, I chose the first option.

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #584

• mickxr6
  • Senior Boarder
Cheers for that 'Good"!! I will track one down ;)

Will have to look over your way for one as Kessner Suzuki here in SA want bloody $69.89 for one!!!!

Re:Gearing 7 years, 2 months ago #586

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi guys .. just to let you know if you have not seen a piece Krusty put up on a thread ..In general discussions ... under DRZ TOURING ... Its a really good bit of info on gearing and well worth looking at ... cheers
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds