you are here:
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Trail Tech Vapor Speedo
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Share your modifications both the ones that worked and ones not worth doing.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trail Tech Vapor Speedo

Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 8 years, 1 month ago #18

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
Mind if I ask why you guys tend to swap out the stock speedo for this Trail Tech Vapor Speedo? Fro what I have read, the stock speedo is really quite comprehensive and even a bit over the top. Is it lacking in features the Vapor has?

Or is it a case of, "the stock one is worth 800 to replace while this one does the same job for 200...better swap it out in case I crash the stock one in the bush"...?

I have doubts about the latter being the reason why ;)

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 8 years, 1 month ago #19

• Andrew
  • Administrator
Hi _liam_

Welcome to the site. The original speedo is very good eg. easy to read two trip computers etc, the main reasons I fitted a Vapor was for the tacho and engine tempreature.

Andrew

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 8 years, 1 month ago #21

• _liam_
  • Senior Boarder
ahh I see. Thanks for that.

And thanks for the welcome :)

I like your website. Great work!

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 8 years ago #43

Hey Andrew
I'm looking towards the vapor for my bike
What is the cost involved and where did you get yours from?
And will it bolt straight in or is there some playing around to get it to fit

Cheers

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 8 years ago #44

• Andrew
  • Administrator
Hi Aussiedrz400e,

I got mine from an ebay store called BigPig and it was $159 for the speedo and another $75 for the mounting bracket and dashboard to house the indicator lights etc.

The mounting of the unit is easy however the instructions for the wiring is tricky and once I am back from holiday's I will be putting an installation guide together as I have had a couple of questions around the wiring.

The unit is very good and I highly recommend it.

Andrew

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 10 months ago #227

• Good
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #356

• scotty
  • Expert Boarder
I have the Trailtech Enduro on my DRZ, similar to the Vapour but with less features. The main reason I changed from the original unit is because the Suzuki speedo is very expensive if damaged, cost in the vicinity of $800. The Traitech unit cost me $79. Its weighs less, doesn't require a cable and if it gets damaged MUCH cheaper to replace.

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #359

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
I swapped out the stock speedo as I am doing a motard conversion using RGV rims and the speedo can't be calibrated. I chose a $100 after market job from China so I will see how it goes.

Vapor speedo's are good, especially the stealth model as it offers a tacho and coolant temperature, which the stock unit doesn't do.

My problem with the vapor, is their reliability. Mates of mine are replacing them every 2 years on 4 strokes (water gets in there or the internals get damaged from vibration). They appear to last less time on 2-strokes. (these bikes are used 95% in the bush).

This issue is not isolated to the vapor, stock honda digital speedo's and alot of others are prone to packing it in.

What I would like to see is an anologue speedo / tacho / temp combo with a magnetic / electrical pick up.

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #362

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
Does anyone know what the acewell speedos are like? Bit more expensive than the trail tech and bigger but look ok. I prefer the compact size of the trail tech though and the fact it is bike specific.
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #363

• Good
  • Expert Boarder
Interesting point, I think the only thing that makes the vapor bike specific is the plugs on the end? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Acewell seem to be a fair bit more expensive that the vapor.

I got a chinese one of ebay for $100 including post so will see what thats like. The one I got has speedo, odo and a few lights for high beam, turn etc.

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #370

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Not sure what an Acewell is worth .......but check out S3 performance...He is in ringwood..melbourne ....most of his items are a lot cheaper than others .....I did buy one of the body armour of this guy about a year ago and have had no problams ....comfortable and strong ....

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 9 months ago #380

• Rocker
  • Expert Boarder
  • Never enough time to ride.
It was the s3performance website that i came across the acewell speedos wayno, will prob still go for a trail tech though.

Glad to here your happy with the armour as it looks like a good bit of gear.
4 wheels moves the body, 2 wheels moves the soul.

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 7 months ago #657

• OZ
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Andrew,

First thx for this website..
And sorry not spending much time writing posts..

I got the trailtech Vector. Almost the same with Vapor except tacho.
My question to u is:
What do u read at engine temp after start up at idle speed and what do u read when riding?(on highway when speeding or on trail)

Thanks again..
And if anyone from this website comes around here, just let me know.. :)

Oz

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 2 months ago #1320

I have bought a trail tech Vapor and am now looking at the install.

Andrew - you mentioned earlier that you were going to put together an install manual, did you ever get around to doing this? Would love a copy if you did.

How have people attached the temp sensor? Did you cut the hoses or somehow get it into the radiator? How? I am thinking about drilling into the radiator, welding a nut onto it and screwing the sensor into that - any suggestions?

What temps are people getting from their bikes off the vapor gauge?

Re:Trail Tech Vapor Speedo 7 years, 2 months ago #1322

• The Maso
  • Senior Boarder
My Vapor came with a sensor that replaces the bleed screw in top of the left radiator.

Mine with a 17litre Safari tank runs at about 65 degrees normal running.

Working hard it has been as high as 92 degrees but cools pretty quick once you get a bit of speed going
If its not broken.
Fix it until it is !!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds